Going backwards or forwards??

Discussion in 'Forum Suggestions and Feedback' started by Nemos Janitor, 19 Nov 2010.

1. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Not sure i am 100s happy with the forum changes. :( IMHO not much better than before. But this is my observation and frustration. Gone is the live feed, gone is the lovely feature of the reef keeping updates at the bottom of the home page.

I posted this thread and did not have a clue how to follow it. home page did not show. and new posts did not show so where does one look?

Marine Aquariums of South Africa

Hmmm.... Perhaps I missed a trick or two. Any help?

Last edited: 19 Nov 2010
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Manic

Manic Moderator

General Off Topic chats do not show up on the home page because they are normally not marine related and most of the time it is just funny crap.

4. Manic

Manic Moderator

"reef keeping updates at the bottom of the home page", that is still there, just need to push a little button on the right to activate the drop down menu.

Live feed was causing issues with the whole site, think it was using too much memory and slowed the whole site down.

5. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor Thread Starter

Before was far better. I don't want to go to another site to read the up dates. I can have that sent to my mail if i want like practical fish keeping. Before, the articles were displayed, and those that interested me i could select and read. Now I have to wade through a bunch of bull to find something that might interest me. Probably why it will become unused by most.

Still how does one track off topic threads?

6. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

New posts won't show because, ummmm, there have been no new posts on that thread???
    Quite right, thank you Manic. This is a reefkeeping site and as such, threads about taking a dump on national toilet day are not displayed on the home page as they are not relevant to the main focus of this website, which is about reefkeeping, funnily enough.
    Right again. There is a problem with the ReefBuilders block not being open by default, I have tried to rectify it but have failed, but it just means one more click of the mouse to show it.

Live Feed was causing major database errors and was a resource hog and was maxing out our memory, I can enable it again but then don't cry foul if the site goes down, besides, it was a luxury item, show me one other reefkeeping forum that has the live feeds feature?

Believe you me, I don't do these things to piss you off on purpose, I do what is in the interest of the website in order to keep it running smoothly.

I have no idea what you are talking about here. What articles? What bull? What will become unused?
    Use the New Posts link or to to see all threads that you have started/posted in, use the User CP link.

7. Nemos Janitor

Dean i was only giving MASA my user "fuzzies". I appreciate all you guys do but if you don't get input, you dont know.

For me, MASA was more user friendly before the change and I really loved it. My 2c

8. Nemos Janitor

Ok made an A$$ of myself. Was clicking on the reef builders line and got their web. The tiny up down arrows did the trick.

What about a user having options to decide what one wants on his home page.
    eg. and this is only an example
    1) i dont want to see nano tanks
    2) i dont want to see equipment reviews
    3) i dont want to see breading fish
    4) i dont want to see sponsor adds

5) i want to see Photography
    6) i want to see members systems and setups
    7) i want to see diving and collecting
    8) i want to see general off topic chats

So there is a default home page, and one has the option to include or omit ones choices.

Something along the lines of the "list subscription" option but only the major groups.

Last edited: 20 Nov 2010
  9. SIMS

SIMS

I have not even noticed any changes :p seems just as good to me :)

10. seank

seank

:lol::lol:

11. viper357

I enabled the live feed again and, well, the site went down, I have changed some settings so that it will only update every 20 seconds and will only pull threads that have been updated in the last 2 hours, instead of the default 24, we'll see how this goes, but if it plays up again then it will be gone forever.

12. Nemos Janitor

Thank you for giving it another try Dean.

WRT the home page suggestion perhaps a "My Home Page" option. So one can decide what groups of threads one would like displayed.

13. Nemos Janitor

:043::smooch::smooch::smooch:

You fixed the Reef Builders.:thumbup:

14. Nemos Janitor

:012::012::012:

It's gone. Did it brake the system?

15. viper357

Live feed has been disabled, permanently. As you can see from the graph below, all the white spaces are the occasions the forum has been down, 11 times over the last 24 hours.

[​IMG]

16. Nemos Janitor

OK i understand and very disappointed. Thank you Dean for trying, it was a brill feature i used a lot.

This might seam very irritating, but why is the option available from the software and it causes issues? Crappy software? Lack of resources ......?

it is just that before, the option worked for over a year, and has now become an issue since the change.

Last edited: 21 Nov 2010
  17. viper357

It is not an "option available from the software", it is a 3rd party product that was made by an individual in September 2006, since then our vbulletin software has gone through 18 upgrades but he has not upgraded this 'add-on' at all, this is why you do not see this feature on any other forum running vbulletin as it is not built-in. It's kinda like putting a retread tyre from soweto on your Ferrari, sooner or later it's going to give way. Coupled with the fact that the forum has grown drastically over the last year (the main reason why we had to upgrade our hosting company recently), we need all the resources we can spare in order to keep the forum running smoothly, that is why I have had to disable some of the luxuries on the forum that are resource intensive, things like the chat, the live feed and a couple of other small add-ons in the background, it's a sort of balancing act if you will.

18. Nemos Janitor

I see, and if i read between the lines we need to upgrade the feature and memory or hosting thing. along with extra memory.

We have grown at a huge rate. New sponsors coming on board, membership almost doubling etc etc.... what an achievement.

Change is mostly resisted, more so by the older generation because it interrupts the comfit zone and confuses.

You guys are doing a grand job. Lets move on.

Last edited: 21 Nov 2010
  19. Nemos Janitor

WOW 625 users on line on Sunday at 10h03. If this is correct very well done guys.

However I was on line around then and there were not many members on line. Do we have a breakdown of no of members to non members etc.

I may be wrong but is it possible the LF system down thing could have corrupted the stats?

20. Manic

Manic Moderator

If you click on forums and go right to the bottom of the page you will see the breakdown. At the moment we have 189 people on the site. Only 50 something are members.

21. Nemos Janitor

Yup :thumbup: and you also get the current stats on the home page.

How do i look up the stats for Sunday at 10h03?

Recent Posts