Going Away

Reaction score
I am going away shortly for 2 weeks and am a little concerned that my siphon overflow may stop working and I will lose almost all filtering on the tank. Luckily my nanny/domestic will be house sitting so there is somebody there.

I am thinking of moving everything from my sump back into my DT (except the skimmer)for the time I am away to have some peace of mind and ease of management for the nanny. This would mean that all that needs to be done is feeding and top up. I am planning on having some spare pre-rinsed bags of carbon and phosguard so she can just swap them over after 1 week.

My tank is very lightly stocked right now with just a Clown, cleaner shrimp and around 6 snails.

Any thoughts on this?

Should I also move my macro algae into the DT while I am gone?

It has stopped once in the last 2 months. I normally suck the air out every few days just to be 100% sure it is running smoothly.

I had it setup like that originally but was warned against it as if my return pump fails there is a chance that this could pump/siphon water into the sump and cause a flood.

If there is a safe way of doing it I would love to know :)

Overflow box

Good afternoon to all,I have a overflow fitted to my 8ftx2ftx2ft tank,if it is set up right it should not over flow the sump.When i turn the power off to my pumps the water does indeed flow back to the sump,but way it is set up it cannot overflow the sump it,s well tested. shrimpman.

if you got an old style powerhead with venturi opening, or even some Seio have a venturi inlet. Connect that to the overflow pipe, highest point. So that the venturi automatically suck out any air that gets trapped. use black garden irrigation 6mm pipe, instead of clear flexible tubing. So that algae does not grow inside the pipe, eventually blocking it. Con is that you cannot see the bubbles being pulled out, so you not sure if its still working. I had a longer piece of pipe, that looped outside the lights area, and there I had a short section clear pipe, so that I could see when I small bubble gets pulled out.

if you got an old style powerhead with venturi opening, or even some Seio have a venturi inlet. Connect that to the overflow pipe, highest point. So that the venturi automatically suck out any air that gets trapped. use black garden irrigation 6mm pipe, instead of clear flexible tubing. So that algae does not grow inside the pipe, eventually blocking it. Con is that you cannot see the bubbles being pulled out, so you not sure if its still working. I had a longer piece of pipe, that looped outside the lights area, and there I had a short section clear pipe, so that I could see when I small bubble gets pulled out.

Tripple post,

down at Park Ryne and the internet connection sucks, It bombs out, but in meantime it did post.

Last edited:
Thanks RiaanP. I have a small powerhead at the back of my LR to supply some flow, will hook it up to this.

I also just realised that I have a one way valve on there so there is no chance of water going the opposite direction.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom