going away and corals

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by MarcVanJ, 22 Oct 2013.

1. MarcVanJ

MarcVanJ

hey all. so i have a nano 35L that i have set up and is currently cycled. im am desperately wanting to put some soft corals in but in december im going away for 15days so the nano will not have a waterchange or top ups during this period. am i safe to add any corals at this point if so what? or is it better to just wait (really hard choice)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

That's a long time to go without topping up. Do yourself a favor and get an auto top up unit now, will save you time in the long run and you'll be able to get coral now.
    15 days without a water change shouldn't be a problem, provided the tank isn't heavily stocked

Last edited: 22 Oct 2013
  4. MarcVanJ

MarcVanJ Thread Starter

i want to add one or 2 small corals, what does a auto top up cost, easy to setup?

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

35L is not that much. Maybe rather just move the tank to somebody for the 2 weeks. Can drain it halfway, move it to your neighbour refill and have a cold one after job done within an hour.

I know it sounds wrong to say move the tank. But it would be such a quick job, that you will have no issues from that. Provided you just keep rocks and corals under water.

6. MarcVanJ

MarcVanJ Thread Starter

it is currently not stocked with any corals so i was just going to leave it in my house lights off. is there any issue with wrapping the top of the tank with glad wrap to seal in the water so no evaporation occures? has anyone done this? does the tank have to be open on the top?

7. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Needs to be open to allow for gas exchange. Auto top up isn't expensive and easy to set up.
    Alternatively get someone to stop in and check on your tank every few days

Last edited: 22 Oct 2013
  8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Glad wrap might do the trick. Although I do think you will run out of oxygen in the tank. You still have bacterial live and what not in the rocks. Although not big consumers of oxygen, in their numbers they might be.

I cannot say it this will work in all honesty.

9. MarcVanJ

MarcVanJ Thread Starter

ok cool thanx guys it was just a thought. will look into the auto topup for now

Recent Posts