Goby Nightmare!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by MistaOrange, 11 Apr 2010.

1. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

Hey guys this past week I was in Lusaka Zambia & while I was away my father thought he was doing me a favor by doing a water change but couldn't find my salt mix so he ventured to the Blouberg beach & collected some sea water about 100L & did a 30% water change. When I arrived saterday morning the first thing I went to check up on my tanks. What a disaster the tanks were green, greener than our lawn but the fish looked ok until tonight I noticed that my yellow shrimp goby is looking a bit strange. the front half of his body is ok but the back half looks pale, white & tail fin looks half chowed & him tummy loos bloated. What can I do now? must I take him out? I don't have a QT but the other tank has less fish in it or put him in the sump? Please help?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. PeterL

PeterL

Not experienced to advise, just following...
    Africa is good for it's expressions though - EISH!!!!

4. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Michael - sorry to hear about this. Generically - water from Bloubergstrand is not a problem at all. IF the water is collect at the correct time, and "correct place" (not still standing water, and collected from an area/pond where the water is constantly moving in and out)....

The ONE thing that could be/could have been an issue, is that the water might have been a bit too cold, or that there was a LOT of "skimmate" (natural skimmate - produced by "white-water") muck in the water, which could have increased the nutrients a LOT in the tank.

I drove past beaches around Blouberg over the weekend - and definitely saw a LOT of "skimmate" lying around....

Now - that said - I think that you have 2 seperate issues here.

One - the tank being "green" - the only possible thing that I can think of, is the high nutrient levels in the source water.

Secondly - the Goby - I have never heard that a water change would directly affect fish, as such.

Unless there was some type of pathogen in the water collected, that could have affected the goby.

Without a quarantine tank, it would be difficult to tell you what to do, in your current tank.

You can try that stuff that Frans used (MicrobeLift or something) in his tanks. This could possibly help a lot in getting the goby better.

Does the goby still eat?

If it does - you could possibly dose some marine fish multi-vitamins in the food that you are feeding (actually, dip the food in the multi-vitamin solution).... and then feed the fish...

Good luck mate.

5. MistaOrange

MistaOrange Thread Starter

Unfortunately the goby never made it as it became hermit & coral shrimp chow.:(. I asked my oldman where he got the water & he said he went in waist high to collect water because there was alot of foam. Shame he really feels bad about it as he knows how I feel about my tanks. I agree maybe he did pick up something but what confuses me the most is that my other fish seem to be fine. I got some seachem phosguard for the green hair algae but since put it in my nennie has been moving around from the cave where it sat for the 2 months I had him, is that normal for a nennie?

6. jacquesb

Hi Michael - sorry that I only get to read your post / response now. No - it is not "normal" for a nemmie to "move". The only time when a nemmie would move, is if they are not happy in their position anymore, or if something is "threatening" them in the position that they were in.....

It is quite possible that something came in the water that your dad used to do the water change......

Do you have any power-heads in the tank? If you do have, PLEASE either switch them off, or perhaps better, place a net or something similar over the nemmie....... that it cannot get to the power-head.

Else you will MOST likely have to contain with a major tank disaster (if the nemmie would end up in the intakes of the power-head/s)......

Good luck in getting this sorted, mate!

7. MistaOrange

Hey Jacques thanx for the advice, the nennie is back at the cave entrance & has been there for just over a week. Yes I have a sun sun & I think It could be causing some voltage leak but then again I'm in printing & get paper cuts daily & it burns when my hand touches the water. But I do think there is a voltage leak & think I should ground my sump soon.

8. jacquesb

Michael - what is your Ca levels like? I have noticed that high'ish pH and calcium levels also tend to give a feeling similar to stray voltage.

It is possible that the pumps is leaching electricity - but, I have only experienced that ever, when my tank burst at the silicone seam - when my SunSun's burnt out..... then I felt stray electricity from them.... never at any other time.....

9. clown

clown

Hi,

My SunSun gave a month a go voltage leak and every time I touch the water I got sock. Then I saw there was a small cut on the cable by the cable that went into the wavemaker. I sealed it but 2 weeks ago the cable just snap of and trip the lights.
    Wave makers will do this due to lot of wear and tear and when you take it out and clean. Fish does not feel the voltage like we do.

I only use NSW every week from Melkbos. My fishes looks good and my shrimps mould offend. My fishes eat. My Corals is doing well.

Yes there is more phosphate in the water but not so bad that the whole tank goes green. That is way I am going to modify the skimmer to skim even harder and better.
    I skim dry/wet (empty the cup every 3 days).

I keep some hair algae in the tank for the snails and for the Midas as he also goes and eat hair algae when he does not get fed.

I think something ells is causing problems.. .

For proof see my resent pic's of my tank. I use NSW for the last 6 /7 months

[​IMG]

url='http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=24742'][​IMG][/url]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. MistaOrange

Thanx guys yes it was the sunsun as it's on it's way out, but what's pissing on my chips is that it's not even 6months old yet!!!! Wow clown nice setup dude, btw what glass shrimp is in that pic?

11. MistaOrange

This one!!![​IMG]

12. clown

clown

Hi ,
    Thanx for the nice words.
    That pic of full tank was the day before a went and did a water change.

The Glass shrimp is a local shrimp that you collect from Blouberg to Melkbos and in hermanus in cape towns water. Im not sure on the name.
    They are bold and when they are use to you ,if you put you're hand in the water then they run to you to see if there is a tread.

I will make a thread and ask if any one can ID it better.

Send some pics of you're setup.

My SUNSUN was a year + old.

13. Boegie

Boegie

Nice pics.

14. MistaOrange

Believe me I'm trying to load pics from phone to my laptop but the darn phone won't connect. You say from blouberg to melkbos, I have never dived along there yet & I live not too far from there.
    As for that sunsun I think I'm going to take it out cuz ek skok myseelf moertoe. In fact I already have taken it out & have a smaller power head running meanwhile.

Recent Posts