Gobbledygook & What you think....

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Nemos Janitor, 20 Oct 2013.

1. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

I have, over the last few months substantially reduced my time spent on MASA. Mostly due to projects we are involved in, but, that is not the purpose of this thread, just some worthless info... Hehe

Purpose is to gobbledygook about why we cant be similar to our American aquariusts. Note: the choice of word "similar" is because we are South Africans and have our own expressions and fraises, and we are not as loud but very proud, if you know what I mean. Right, yes, whatever...

I have wondered why SA cannot get their knowledgeable bunch of Aquariusts together at any do, expo, gathering, meeting, frag swop or other aquarium related thing.

Now just look at the US with all their recent activity. Handful's of well known Aquariusts and professionals coming together, sharing, promoting each other and most of all respecting each other. Not only their countrymen but internationals as well.

Now please GOBBLEDYGOOK cool stuff to get a "similar" vibe going is SA.

What you think.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

In your opinion Keith, who are they?

4. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

I think you're right.
    I reckon if you combine the Gauteng Reef Club and the Cape Town Reef Club into one gathering it would be a hive of knowledgeable aquarists.

No need for Calfo and Borneman etc. We'll have Dallas and Mandarinman.....knowledge and entertainment all in one........:p

5. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor Thread Starter

For me it is the less loud aquariust that do not say much. Those that just gets on with their aquarium/s. That rules out quite a few members including me. But hay this is Gobbledygook and not tit and tell. :)

6. Nemos Janitor

Come on guys and girls. On MASA we are supposed to have fun and enjoyment whilst sharing knowledge. This is a tongue in cheek thread. Lets hear how we can get the knowledgeable aquarists back into the fold of MASA. Yes we do have some but we have also lost a lot and are not attracting very many new ones. Are we?

7. Nemos Janitor

Ok...Witch of these is you...be honest.. :whistling:

[​IMG]

8. mandarinman

mandarinman

WThere is no such thing as tongue in cheek. People want to have discussions without being made to feel like idiots. The sponsors seem to have been removed from their pedestals which is good. Also little groups who in the past would wait until someone was pounced on because of a varying opinion and all the cronies would agree as if to say"yea yea you idiot" kind of killed a lot of peoples reefing enjoyment. If more people would use imo in front of their statements of fact it would help too. Sponsors in the past nailed anyone who dared to question their product and this resulted in a loss of credibility. I am glad that it has been realised that a sponsor pays for the PRIVILEDGE of advertising on the site and does not buy the right to intimidate, attack, or even insult a member on the site for not liking them or their product or both for that matter. Now that it seems to be sorted out it will take a while to get back to normal. Ps nj dont joke on the forum unless it is in the joke thread as people are sensitive and may take things the wrong way. And last of all dont talk condescendingly to others on the site. That imo may help
    Big PS THIS IS NOT FOCUSSED AT YOU OR ANYONE ELSE IT IS MY OPINION BASED ON MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE AND IS A DIRECT ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTION AND IS MEANT TO BE HELFUL IN NATURE AND INTENTION AND IS SAID IN PAST TENSE AS I BELIEVE THESE THINGS HAVE BEEN RESOLVED BY GOOD MODERATORS

Last edited: 22 Oct 2013
  9. pkc

pkc

Some excellent words of wisdom there mate, shame there isn't some one like you setting the bar over here for a few sites.

10. Bubbles22

Bubbles22

Sounds like a big eggshell dance to me, the UK reefers (who I've been hanging with for the last few years) are also a little reserved, but can at least take both a joke and constructive criticism.

11. pkc

pkc

This forum and reef central are appearing like two of the few forums that are near on completely unbiased.
    There is always a bit of to and fro of egos, that’s just nature, but it is so easy for some one like me, you know quirky,lol, to see it clearly by rubbing shops up the wrong way by telling it how it is and how to do it your self and on those sites the attacks are hidden in private messaging and the threads are altered or transferred to moderators only forum sections and no one is any the wiser.
    Behind the scenes on some forums it is hidden how they control the forum members, you see many forums are owned by some one and are semi or totally run in a business manner.
    There are all kinds of forums and sections of forums and the type of stuff I indulge in and encourage with others draws them out and no one sees what is hidden.
    You have no idea what goes on with many forums.
    You look in this section on here and how it flows freely and find something similar anywhere else and you know that shops and or idiots do not control that forum!!!!!!
    http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/forumdisplay.php?f=205

Last edited: 23 Oct 2013
  12. Nemos Janitor

Something on my page. Similar strategy perhaps?

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2013/10/aquarium

Just love the disclaimer bit...

"The author refuses to accept liability or responsibility for any breakups, bust-ups, moving outs, cat fights, fall-outs, fracas, maimings, trips to the ER or indeed any other kind of family or relationship trauma! So there."

Last edited: 23 Oct 2013
Recent Posts