Global warming?

Is rather interesting. I'd also like to see some temp charts for the area over a period of a few months.
I had no idea the sea temp got up to 29 degrees there, would have thought 23-24 max.

Sea temps at Ponto do Ouro year before last was 29 degrees celsius (not too far norther from Sodwana). BUT, these findings actually confirm my beliefs - global warming does not really exist - this is a CYCLE that occurs every 6 to 8 years.

Currently, I believe that our globe is going through a climate change (look at the shifts of cold/warm weather - cold fronts during times that one is expecting warm weather - later winters, later somers, etc. etc... (this has the result of floods, etc.) - all of this impacts the two major currents in our oceans - Benguella current and Aghulhas current. So, when the climate changes, the currents change, making the water warmer than usual, etc.

These climate changes has always existed.... since man ever remember....

I did some research on the internet a while back on climate change.... These occur every few hundred years - and the worse one was thought to have caused the ice age - no a meteorite as such (could have been though)....

Sorry Jacques. There is no longer any debate. Climate change is a reality. Watch the Al Gore movie.

Sorry Jacques. There is no longer any debate. Climate change is a reality. Watch the Al Gore movie.

I think the debate tends to be whether the human race is causing it or whether it is part of a natural cycle, my personal belief that whilst it is wrong to waste fuel, electricity etc, i happen to believe that we haven't actually caused the problem.
Since the last ice age, some 10,000 years ago the earth has been slowly warming, how can we possibly know at what temperature it is supposed to stop at, these temperature fluctuations have been going on for millions (if not billions) of years, yet we are being told that all corals will die etc,etc, if we don't do something - sorry corals have survived these rises and fall in temperature - they are still here, so are millions of other species including many reptiles that must somehow have survived the many ice ages.

|:) Thanks Sunburst ;-)

I know climate change is a reality -it has been happening for a VERY LONG LONG LONG time!

It's just "Global Warming" that's nonsense (in my opinion, that is)....

That's exactly what I believe Mike - Yes - there are MUCH more humans on earth than what there used to be - BUT, I believe that the earth's axis is changing in it's angle... there-for the climate changes.....

That's exactly what I believe Mike - Yes - there are MUCH more humans on earth than what there used to be - BUT, I believe that the earth's axis is changing in it's angle... there-for the climate changes.....

Perhaps if we get viper to sit in the middle, it might stop the axis wobble?

global warming does not really exist - this is a CYCLE that occurs every 6 to 8 years.

OH MY GOD:nono:
dude open your frickin eyes!! im not even getting into a debate with you about this!! with people with your attitude change can not take place!

sorry but this is a topic i feel very strongly about and cant stand people saying it isnt true!

Global warming......pffffft, it's a conspiracy cooked up by the manufacturers of air conditioners and those boys that invented that cfc-free gas stuff.

It's just like anti-virus companies. Who do you think makes the virus's? The same guys that make anti-virus software, they would all go out of business if there were no virus's, not so?

Just kidding, but seriously, it is a major concern, some people are more concerned about it than others, everybody is entitled to their own opinion (except wee-man), so yeah, take it easy guys (Calvin :D), have a gentleman's discussion about it. :thumbup:

|:) Thanks Sunburst ;-)

I know climate change is a reality -it has been happening for a VERY LONG LONG LONG time!

It's just "Global Warming" that's nonsense (in my opinion, that is)....

The fact that global warming has been happening for a long time, and that it is a cycle is not disputed. The issue here is the rate at which the change is now occurring.

If you watch Discovery Chan, they have some very interesting things on this. I believe we are just speeding up a natural cycle. One program showed proof that the magnetic field changes ie north becomes south and it has happened more that ones.

When i studied Astronomy as part of my Physics 'o' level (final school exams at 16) i seem to remember that the wobble on the earth's axis had a cycle of about 14,000years.

The fact that global warming has been happening for a long time, and that it is a cycle is not disputed. The issue here is the rate at which the change is now occurring.

Indeed, this is such a debatable topic. I find the results of dating carbon studies back thousands of years a bit dubious though. Seriously sometimes it's a whole lot of scientific mumbo jumbo. Who knows what really happened thousands of years ago.

One thing that is a concern though is the hole appearing in the Ozone layer. Wonder if that's part of teh cycle or man made..

The historical ebb and flow of global temp. is now a well known documented fact. Documented by yes carbon dating, which will give an indication of the period that something died, but not the co2 levels at that time. For that we take samples of ice from the poles. From these samples we know that current co2 levels are higher than they have ever been before. Not mumbo jumbo easy reading. Take note we are not talking temp...

Here is the problem...in the past excess co2 has been mopped up by earths carbon sinks i.e Amazon; Coral Reefs, Algae etc In 2005 only 30 billion of the 60 billion tons of co2 emitted was absorbed. Yes the amazon is growing much faster but not fast enough and much is being slashed and burnt for farm land. The world is out of balance. China builds two coaled fired power stations every week; and has been for the last 18 months. Some recent figures indicate that if 1% of china bought micro wave ovens co2 emissions would go up 10%. The debate is not if we are affecting the climate but whether we can slow warming enough, to change the coming crash into a landing.

A lesser known fact is that the pH of the sea is dropping faster than expected; as we all know affects calcification and therefore co2 absorption. There have been over 900 scientific studies done on the effects of current emissions and not one has indicated that this trend is just a cycle. The misconception that we so often like to regurgitate are the ones spawned by big multi nationals who need huge amount of energy.

If there are any studies or scientific references that members could direct us to i would truly love to be proven wrong.

Not mumbo jumbo easy reading. Take note we are not talking temp...

Sean, don't get me wrong, the global warming issue is something that is really close to my heart.
I know thousands of man hours have been spent researching the data, and there is hard scientific evidence. But there are also a lot of blanks that have been filled in to suite results because of the amount of monet some people have spent funding the research.

The senseless burning of fossil fuels is something that really irks me no end. SA is a prime example of that, intent on Coal and Diesel generated electricity when there are so many options available. Hydro Electric, Solar, wind and wave power. Most of these natural eco friendly resources are available but jack is being done to utilise them. The problem is setting up ways to harness that energy takes years and we they haven't made a start yet.

But there are also a lot of blanks (what blanks...give me one unknown) that have been filled in to suite results because of the amount of monet some people have spent funding the research.(sorry...90% of research is funded by govt. They need finance from taxes, provided by employment, provided by industry) eg If you were interested in a field of science in sunny SA, literally any science... who do you think would be paying your salary. Its the same world wide. Although more so in some countries.

The senseless burning of fossil fuels is something that really irks me no end. SA is a prime example of that, intent on Coal and Diesel generated electricity when there are so many options available. Hydro Electric, Solar, wind and wave power. Most of these natural eco friendly resources are available but jack is being done to utilise them.(costs to much and most still need further research and funding) The problem is setting up ways to harness that energy takes years and we they haven't made a start yet.

The billions that the South African govt is about to spend on outdated pebble bed reactors, staggers the imagination. If they took a tiny fraction of that an offered an incentive for citizens to convert to Solar Heated Water there would be an immediate easing of supply on the national grid. But once again... its big business who stands to gain from incompetent decision making which all govt's make in the name of progress. In some parts of the USA (California being one) If you are able to supply excess power back to the grid via poly voltaic cells (ie while you are at work for instance when your consumption requirements are low) you are credited at the end of the month. This is one of the ways that will enable each of us to reduce our carbon footprint.

A lesser known fact is that the pH of the sea is dropping faster than expected; as we all know affects calcification and therefore co2 absorption. There have been over 900 scientific studies done on the effects of current emissions and not one has indicated that this trend is just a cycle. The misconception that we so often like to regurgitate are the ones spawned by big multi nationals who need huge amount of energy.

If there are any studies or scientific references that members could direct us to i would truly love to be proven wrong.

Hi Sunburst - you are completely correct - I for one, was definitely NOT aware of this.... And yes - I can think that this would not be part of a cycle....

I agree - humans definitely has an impact, by destroying mother earth's natural defenses (perhaps removing so much plant-/tree-life has something to do with this too?) in causing a huge imbalance in the way that "waste" is being consumed by earth's natural ability....

For example - look at the amount of sharks that are being killed off anually - they too are part of "earth's natural defenses to consume waste".....

I think that this whole "so called debate" is more about the imbalance that us humans cause due to our destructive-ness - than about "so called global warming due to motor-car exhaust fumes, and CFC's"....

Anthony - I have read up a LOT (even more than reading about marines ;-) about the "ozone hole" - and nowhere can proof be shown that this "hole" was not there - it is just something that the humans "noticed" at some stage.....

And no - I do note really want to go into any debate about this - that's what the internet's there for - and tv channels like "Discovery Channel 1 and 2", "National Geographic", "NG1", "Animal Planet", etc...

BTW: I have been following this issue and reading up on it since about 1999 - when SA ONLY HAD MNET still.... I lived in Europe for 6 years - and watching documentaries like what is shown now on Discovery over here - sparked my interest in further investigation.

As I said - I do not want to debate this as such - I am a "nature lover" (VERY close to being a GREENPEACE activist - but just not yet ;-) from head to toe.... BUT, if anyone really feels like it - please spend a few years investigating this using EVERY single piece of information you can find.....
Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom