GlennF's 1500Liter DSR mixed tank (250x80x60wh)

So whats the consensus on the Butterflies, are some better than others with Sps?

Do the SPS still grow and are some butterflies just an outright no no with SPS? Or are some SPS just more suitable to live with butterflies than others.

Love butterflies but been to scared to try.

They all peck on corals, but when corals are healthy they withstand the pecking.

Some butterflies do cause massive damage to SPS i.e. octofasciatus and trifasciatus
So whats the consensus on the Butterflies, are some better than others with Sps?

Do the SPS still grow and are some butterflies just an outright no no with SPS? Or are some SPS just more suitable to live with butterflies than others.

Love butterflies but been to scared to try.

Last edited:
@glennf . Absolutely stunning tank. Any plans for going bigger in the future? i think you will take it to the next next level. keepit up!
I do have plans, but not the time and inspiration to get it started.

14 meters panorama reef in "U" shape
I have been sitting on it since 2012.

i would also love a U shape one day...maybe just maybe it will become reality.
Make sure you realy want it, and make sure you get the skills to keep it flourishing.

It has a large impact on you home, when you fail to get it going. After all i should be the centrepiece of your mancave.

From what I can make out the pH dropped to 7.4 or 7.5 all fish dead.. but hard to tell Glenn is obviously upset and a lot of chatter in his home language.

@glennf what happened to this system? I see posts on facebook but difficult to translate. So sorry to see those pictures my friend.
Dear fellow reefers,

After sharing a less fun "learning moment" on various platforms, there was a wave of reactions.
This caused a considerable delay in the explanation.

To eliminate speculation, I will summarize this .

On Friday, 1/6/2018, fate struck.
4:00 AM stop blown by unexplained puddle of water on WCD located on a piece of furniture with 2x40L fragtanks
11:15 AM found that all lights were out on the aquarium cluster of 1600 liters
The cluster consists of 7 tanks
1200reef, 200butterfly reef, 120butterfly reef, 115quarantine reef, EZ200acan reef, 2x 40L fragtanks
Because there was no power, there was no current and there was an oxygen shortage.
Summary damage:
- 200 butterfly reef is the worst hit with 90% of the fish lost.
- reef1200 has come down reasonably well with ~ 6 fish.
- 120 butterflies reef had 3 cases
- 115 QT everything has survived
- 2x 40L fragtank has survived everything
- EZ200acanreef has survived everything
All corals are doing fine!
Only the purple stylo protruded 3cm above water and was dry for 7 hours.

This is a hard and expensive lesson.
There is a lot to learn from this and that is why the info is also shared. IMO a wakeup call for all reefers!
It happens to even the best, so why not you?

Now the following quick fixes are on the cluster:
- acoustic alarm for rising sump water
- UPS that provides flow in each tank in case of total powerfailure.
- there is an audible alarm on every cluster for power outage at a minimum flow rate.
20180601_122914.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom