GlennF's 1500Liter DSR mixed tank (250x80x60wh)

Reaction score
Started in november 2018, it was supposed to be fragtank to for temporary placement of corals pruned from my other tanks.
Now it seems like this has become more than temporary placement

Reaction score
topdownview
I Made some pictures while the lightfixture had to be removed for maintenance.
The EZ550reef has grown into a full reef again since the last rescape.
The new species that apparently would be "hard-to-keep corals" are also doing very well.
The system is so stable that the last measurement I took was already 2 months ago.
As an experienced aquarist you learn to recognize signals and you can sometimes sit back and enjoy cruising along, but you must always be aware that it does not turn into overconfidence or neglect.

This aquarium has been running without regular water changes since 2015. There was a time when it was thought impossible to do so. Nowadays it is generally accepted that we can do just fine without it . More and more manufacturers are now using it as an argument to promote a product. Waterchanges are great for emergency interventions. They are not ecological and if you have things well managed certainly not necessary as a regular maintenance method.

Reaction score
Sell me that Kole Tang :lol: I've been looking for one. Also pictures and vids like this is the reason I started this hobby I too want a beautiful show piece tank like this. Btw when the word loadshedding gets thrown around do you start sweating?

Reaction score
Sell me that Kole Tang I've been looking for one. Also pictures and vids like this is the reason I started this hobby I too want a beautiful show piece tank like this. Btw when the word loadshedding gets thrown around do you start sweating?
I share these picture , because the are to beautifull to keep them for myself and it inspires reefers to do better.

I had my problem with 7 hour fallout which killed 70% of my fish.
The corals were not affected by it

Last edited:
Reaction score
Wow @glennf this is really an amazing tank. Would love to have a chat with you re your approach to supplementing. Living in Cape Town, I think zero water changes is going to have to become the norm around here for large systems giving the water restrictions.

Reaction score
Wow @glennf this is really an amazing tank. Would love to have a chat with you re your approach to supplementing. Living in Cape Town, I think zero water changes is going to have to become the norm around here for large systems giving the water restrictions.
Thanks! You can als anything in here.
In the netherlands it's now the norm.
And it can easily be done, it's all about learning how to ....

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
clonetrooper Protein Skimmers, Mechanical Filtration 2