glass

Discussion in 'Anything DIY Related' started by Bradley Burrell, 12 Nov 2012.

1. Bradley Burrell

Bradley Burrell

howzit all i just want to ask for some help,i have a 4ft tank that i needed to change sides on because i had a crack on one and changing plumbing completely so i got same thicknes glass and size as current sides,cut the old ones out and put new ones in with marine silicone will it work?... And i have also put a new overflow in the middle against the back glass from the bottom of the tank will it take the pressure with no bracing...it is same thickness glass as the rest of the tank and is very sturdy but i need to make sure...then last i also changed my 3ft sumps base as it was cracked will it work?...i put a line of sealant on the edge before putting any of the above into place and then sealed from the inside on the edges exactly like it was but abit more friendly with the amount used so its got a decent seal just need confirmation please...thanks Brad:)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

What thickness glass is the tank and sump?

4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

The proof will be the leak test.
    Depending on the tank, Normally a complete breakdown is needed when redoing the short sides. But of you manage to work the silicone in between the panes, then it could work. Place the tank outside under a roof. No need to let the sun heat it up, or fall party on it, heating only one side. Fill it up and let it be for a day.

At least, If a pane does fail, the waterfall is outside...

5. Jayceew

Jayceew

A lot of cracked panes it seems, why did they crack? If due to bumps and the like it's fine to replace as it was, but if they cracked while they were filled for an unknown reason I suggest you rethink the design, perhaps add better bracing etc.

Last edited: 13 Nov 2012
  6. Bradley Burrell

Bradley Burrell Thread Starter

Ok sorry for late response i had drilled the other sides top and bottom while i was busy making my overflow and stuff as i was experimenting which works best...sump got dropped and cracked base...now good news i filled tank to the overflow,it has no leaks at all...sump has not been tested yet as i did the divisions and things today...my overflow had a small leak on the bottom but tiny so i have fixed it up and will check it again once its dry...i want to know will crushed coral work in a dsb...i will put some pics up when im not so nooby...i am doing a proper job now built a decent stand/cabinet and some serious pipe work being done so i am quite impressed with myself so far i might need some help to post pics...

7. Gesiggie

Gesiggie Challenge accepted

To post your pics, click on the paperclip (next to the smiley) in the reply box. You can then browse and add 3 pics at a time.

Recent Posts