glass thickness

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by johannes rall, 14 May 2011.

1. johannes rall

johannes rall

Hi peeps I just want to know what you think.Just for interest sake if i want to build a 1500x600x600 tank what thickness glass should i use.I was thinking of 12mm

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

If you do eurobracing then 10mm is fine as well.

4. Xereo

Xereo

:thumbup:

5. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

with eurobracing 10mm will be suffiecient.. 12mm is always nice though :)

6. Tremayn

Tremayn

12mm is nice :) .. mine is 12mm

7. lIghty

lIghty

10mm with Euro bracing

8. Tony

Tony

12mm is first prize but you can go 10mm with serious bracing. Your base glass must be at least 20mm thick. Look on the left of the forum home page there is a calculator button. Click on that and you will find a glass thickness calculator

9. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Well, as Dirty Harry said: "How lucky do you feel?"

Using the Glass Thickness calculator, and assuming a water height of 550mm (if the glass is 600mm high), you need 10.7mm thick glass (i.e. 12mm) for the recommended safety factor of 3.8 (this is without Euro bracing). At 10mm thickness, you have a safety factor of 3.3, which to my mind is still OK, especially if you also install Euro bracing all round.

Now, if you filled your tank right up to 600mm, that's a different story - then you would HAVE to use 12mm glass.

Hennie

10. *Philip*

*Philip*

What they said :yeahdude:

11. inflames

inflames

Agreed with all!!:biggrin:

12. leslie hempel

Or well braced all round with width ways bracing aswell.

double bases and thicker glass can sometimes make a build impractical whe cost is considered but it will still work

PS: tony im not taking a dig at you just elaborating on something you wrote ;)

13. leslie hempel

sorry hennie but i disagree, having built many tanks i can safely say the cut off point for 10mm glass usage with sungle base well braced will be 2m x 1.000 x.700 WELL CONSTRUCTED with bracing all round. top and bottom.

i do recomend that the bottom bracing be doubled when going in excess of .650mm

its not a case of how lucky you feel but a case of how well you plan and counteract your weak points..;)

14. Tony

Tony

Damn, now I have to call my hitmen back

15. ernst

ernst

Leslie,I agree.10mm will do. It is all about design,construction and physics. Got a 2000x1000x600 in shop 10mm all round for 5years no problem.Bracing is important and your stand.

16. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Oh, you're welcome to disagree - after all, that's one of the main principles of a forum such as this - everyone putting forward their own ideas, experience and theories :biggrin:

One thing to consider, as well, is the location of the tank, and the risk associated with the placement. In your example (2.0 x 1.0 x 0.7 deep) the safety factor using 12mm glass is only 2.3, and with 10mm it is only 1.6 (without bracing). So, even without bracing, the 10mm thick tank won't just fail when filled with water, BUT it would be pretty risky to have such a tank installed in an area (say) where young children play, even if it is braced...

The other very important point you mention, is that of build quality. Not many tanks are built 100% correctly, with the correct silicon thickness between panes, and the correct, even, application of the silicon fillet, or even with uniformly good glass, not to mention the quality of the stand/support - THAT's why we use a safety factor...

My own tank only has a safety factor of 2.9 (rather than the recommended 3.8), BUT I'm pretty confident with it, as I built it myself, and thus ensured that it was constructed properly, AND it is placed inside a wall unit (protection), we don't have small kids playing ball... and it is supported uniformly over it's entire bottom area by a very sturdy concrete and steel slab...

In my opinion, one should rather not cut corners with the design of our tanks, considering that the tank is one of the cheapest parts of the system. Why spend thousands of Rands on lights, pumps, live rock, corals and fish, and skimp on the very thing that keeps it all together and functioning, the tank :whistling:

Ernst, that is like comparing apples and bananas... your tank, at 600mm high, probably only has a water level of around 550mm - and it is the water level, and not the length of the tank, that is the crucial dimension. In your case, your tank has a calculated safety factor of 3.1, no wonder it is still intact after 5 years... it should be, because for a water level of 550mm the 10mm thick glass is quite adequate.

Hennie

Last edited: 15 May 2011
  17. leslie hempel

:)

18. lIghty

lIghty

My tank is 1.4m x 0.6m x 0.55m (LxWxH) and has 12mm Euro bracing about 50mm wide, and it is solid, with no flex.

Recent Posts