Glass supplier and drilling

Bayls

Not often called Junior!
Reaction score
Morning all
I need to replace the front glass of my tank so I can convert to marine (bit scratched and I'm worried about algae growing in the scratches). Does anyone know of a good glass supplier who is well priced? I live in Johannesburg.
Also, is there any (safe) way of drilling the bottom glass myself, or must I resign myself to the fact the I will need to cut the tank up and take it to someone?

Cheers

Reaction score
Hi Thalion,
Just as a matter of interest, what size hole saw did you use and what did it cost you?
Cheers

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Bayls.

Great to hear you're converting a tank to marine, hope you are going to show us some pics of your tank :thumbup:

Reaction score
Bayls, send Carl a PM on here. He drills tanks and can also help you with the glass. You just going to have to wait a few days as he is working hard in Moz. at the moment. Not so sure of the working or hard..but anyway..

Bayls

Not often called Junior!
Reaction score
Thank you all. It looks like the drilling is no problem. I'm really excited about starting - can"t wait to get home from holidays now! Will keep you all informed as to progress!
Great site this, everyone is most helpful!
Cheers

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome Bayls! And good luck with your venture. Please ask MANY questions before venturing into something unknown. Just perhaps we at MASA can assist in making the right decisions!

Good luck once again and ENJOY THE RIDE! (As this ride is FAR away from fresh water!)

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Thank you all. It looks like the drilling is no problem. I'm really excited about starting - can"t wait to get home from holidays now! Will keep you all informed as to progress!
Great site this, everyone is most helpful!
Cheers
Hi Bayls,
Nice to see another convert:thumbup: just remember DONT set your drill to "Hammer";)

Kanga

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome to MASA, the best Marine site in SA by Far:thumbup:

Reaction score
Glass drilling

Hi.
For anyone else interested. A 40mm diamond cire hole saw will cost you R220 Torkcraft is the manufacturer. Clamp a tempelate to the glass then start drilling slowly. The end result looks great.

Reaction score
Glass drilling

Nd dont forget constant water feed. I use a 2l bottle with hole in lid.