Glass safety factor and bracing

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
This one is for the tank builders and glass gurus :)

My question: If I use the glass calculator and get a safety factor of 6, is it still nescessary to put euro bracing at the top?

Aquarium glass calculatorTank Water Height (H) (mm):450Tank Length (L) (mm):1200Tank Width (W) (mm):800Recommended Safety factor (Sf) :3.8Recommended Side Glass Thickness at Sf :7.9Maximum Deflection of Glass (mm):0.34Recommended Bottom Glass Thickness at Sf :9.7Maximum Deflection of Glass (mm):0.27If side glass thickness is changed to (mm):10then actual safety factor =6.0If bottom glass thickness is changed to (mm):then actual safety factor =

Reaction score
You could probably get away without it on a tank that size, but remember, its not the pressure that actually breaks the glass directly, it the pressure that causes the glass to flex to the point of where it cracks and breaks, if that makes sence, that's why bracing is so important, it limits the amount of flex. hope you under stand. it also give you a safe guard against bumps and knocks.

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for advice guys :)

leslie hempel

Sponsor
Reaction score
Reaction score
You could probably get away without it on a tank that size, but remember, its not the pressure that actually breaks the glass directly, it the pressure that causes the glass to flex to the point of where it cracks and breaks, if that makes sence, that's why bracing is so important, it limits the amount of flex. hope you under stand. it also give you a safe guard against bumps and knocks.
Brace it ;)

Reaction score
How would you know if you would need bracing?

I'm busy designing a tank at the moment => 1200(L) x 600(W) x 600(H) mm with a double floor, glass thickness 10mm
Water level would be 560(H)
I would brace it. but the double bottom is not necessary. however it is nice to have in case you drop a rock something. can handle that little extra bump.

Reaction score
what exactly is euro bracing?? My tank is 1200*500*500 with 10mm glass. do i need it?

Reaction score
what exactly is euro bracing?? My tank is 1200*500*500 with 10mm glass. do i need it?
check out my tank thread on pages 3 and 4. those strips of glass on the and bottom is the euro bracing.

its the height of your tank that determines the glass thickness and whether or not you need bracing. id say 500mm is the border line for 10mm glass without bracing so should be fine without it.

Reaction score
I strongly recommend the same and build in B-style!
There was another thread about how to build a tank.
A-style: side panes on top off the base
B-style: side panes against the base, which means the base is laying in between the sides. All tanks should be build like that!

25074c4919ae585df.jpg

Reaction score
I strongly recommend the same and build in B-style!
There was another thread about how to build a tank.
A-style: side panes on top off the base
B-style: side panes against the base, which means the base is laying in between the sides. All tanks should be build like that!

25074c4919ae585df.jpg
And If you were to to build a tank with a dubble base
were do you silicone it to the main tank? As its a Floating
base!