Glass cutting question

Discussion in 'Anything DIY Related' started by Trev, 15 Aug 2010.

1. Trev

Trev

Im hoping Les or someone else with many years of glass cutting experiance can assist me here.

My issue is that the space between my stand and my sump is 80mm high and my skimmer cup is 16cm high so as you can imagine I cannot get the skimmer cup out to clean it. I have always had a drain pipe on the skimmer cut but the issue is cleaning the neck of the skimmer its a mission and it stinks also sometime I have a little bit of dirt drop into the sump when I clean the neck which isnt good and the worst issue is that becuase its such a mission I hardly ever clean it.

So here is my theory ( hope Im right ) if I were to use my glass cutter to score the outside of the glass in order to remove say 100mm of the side pannel then also cut the silicone joint to the same level, do you guys then think that the glass will break evenly accros the prescribed line. Bear in mind that when you normaly cut glass you break to open the scored line now I want to break to close the scored line. Will it work or will I be more likely to end up with a flooded lounge?

Trev

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Dont you have a scrap piece of glass to try it on. Score and break to close scoreline. Or score under water on the inside if you can and then break out?

4. lIghty

lIghty

When cutting glass you would put the score under tension, not compression. When under tension the crack/run will follow this score, but if under compression it will run anywhere, imo.

5. Trev

Trev Thread Starter

Yes I do and will try thanks M

6. Trev

Trev Thread Starter

Well yip this is what I am hoping is not the case but the fact that I have not yet tried it means that I agree with you theory but I am still hoping that its possible :whistling:

7. Pete

Pete

You are 100% lIghty it will run anywhere would not recoment doing this. Chat to Lanzo or Dewald from Dorry pets to order you a automated skimmer cup/neck cleaner that is if you have a reefoctopus skimmer

8. Tim S

Tim S

Hi Trev,

I,m afraid your plan will end poorly. The scribe creates a weak line which starts off the break when put under tension. Is it not possible to scribe the inside of the glass in position? I reduced my sump depth early on as well due to space problems. If you can scribe inside and remove the strip off the top the only negative is the slight deviation of the break line on the ends of the glass as you cannot scribe right to the ends due to the corners.
    Worth a try.

9. Trev

Trev Thread Starter

Yeah great idea just that I have nearly no space on the inside but I will ponder about this option for some time

10. LuckyFish

LuckyFish MASA Contributor

Not only your opinion. 100% right! That will exactly happen and flood the flat.;)

Recent Posts