Glass coffee table?

Reaction score
Hi guys who work with glass ... could you help me out please ...

I've built a rather large "paper cut-out model" over the last 2 years, and it's finally ready to be displayed. I was thinking about putting it into a coffee table made of glass, so that it could be viewed from all angles. It would be great to have a round "silo" with a "top" and "bottom". Something like this:

roundtable.jpg

How realistic is that "round table" glass side, and what kind of costs are we looking at?
I haven't figured out exact measurements yet, but let's say diameter of 80cm and height of 70 cm.

Thanks!

Marine101 - those are nearly ALWAYS fresh-water / tropical tanks (bath water) - as the dynamics of a marine tank will not allow such a design to work successfully.

BTW: as far as I know, the top of the table lifts and allows for cleaning and feeding....

Abgg - I think that your whole thread and question was misunderstood.

If I am not mistaken: You have a hobbiest model that you built, right? And now you want to put this model in a "show-case" in the form of a round glass table?

The "round coffee table" fish-tank idea would also have worked for what you wanted to achieve.

Was also thinking that making it a hexagon/octagon may work, since you can then use flat panes of glass, and maybe make the connections from wood and run some cable in it in order to add some lights into the whole thing to display better ...

OK, did a first draft:

1_UUTafel.jpg

Don't know how the bottom and top will be "fixed on". The top need to fit tight but I must be able to take it off if needed.
The Octogan fits in nicely with the fact that 8 is a very important number on the Discworld.

Looks good, I don't think you will need to "fit" the top, it is going to be very heavy so I reckon it will be fine to simply place it onto some non-slip rubbers on each leg.

Abg - that looks AWESOME. I am quite sure that this would be do-able.... and at least a bit more cost effective than a completely round one. This also looks quite classy, if I may add.

I've completed the Unseen University Cut-out (see previous post for pic), and this is going to be displayed inside the table.

Thanks Viper and Jacques. Also thought non-slip rubbers would be enough - will see what's available.

Any chance we could get a few pics of your University? It looks very interesting.

Back
Top Bottom