Gixxer's NEW Sps reeftank

Discussion in 'uncategorised' started by Gixxerk4, 22 Apr 2010.

1. Gixxerk4

Gixxerk4

Howsit guys/gals

The time has finally come where I can now start planning my new SPS reeftank [​IMG]. It's been 3 years since my last reeftank and i've been itching to setup a new one. Just had to sort out some other priorities first tho...like getting married lol.

The last setup i had was more of a testing ground for me to get the feel of keeping SPS and fish successfully. I made lots of mistakes in purchasing cheap inadequate equipment and then having to pay for it later by having to buy other equipment again. I still managed to make a success of the tank though with really basic equipment (most of which was DIY'd), LOTS of research and some good advice from Liaquat.

These are some of the last few pics that was taken of my previous tank just before it was shutdown.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My new setup will house mainly SPS and a few LPS. My goal for the new tank is to get the colour of my sps popping without using Zeovit..

The specs for the new tank are as follows:

Tank:

1300mm (L) x 900mm (W) x 650mm (H) in 10mm glass with Euro bracing. Tank is going to be built by Adriaan from Idol Marine and will have the skinny overflow along the back panel. I'm a big fan of wide tanks coz you just have so much more possibilites for aquascaping and ofcourse more space for fish to swim.

This is a quick diagram i put together to show the scale of things.. If i'm not mistaken i think Adriaan said he's going to build the stand in 50mm square tubing.

[​IMG]

Lighting:

I've always been a fan of halides on my previous setup but eventually got onto the ATI T5's and fell inlove with them. They give off less heat which means no chiller and kick out more than enuf par to satisfy the needs of SPS corals. I decided to light this tank a 6x54w ATI Sunpower Module. It's pricey but worth it in the long run i believe. Will be ordering this unit in a couple of days time. Can't wait for it to arrive!!

Here's a taster of what the Sunpower units look like.. (hope the pics come out)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Flow:

In-tank circulation will be provided by Tunze. Not sure exactly which ones i'll go for when i'm ready but most likely 4 x 6105's on a multi-controller 7095. May possibly add another 2 at a later stage again.

Calcium Reactor:

I will be using the DIY reactor from my previous setup which worked brilliantly IMO and should be adequate to handle this system until I can buy another reactor. It's being shipped up from CT as i'm typing this.

Here's a couple of pics of what it looks like...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sump Layout:

Still planning this but will definitely be going the Carribsea DSB route again.

Skimmer:

More is better..right? How bout ...3 or 4x more lol...With my previous setup I learned that this is actually the heart of one's tank and didn't wanna compromise so I decided to go with the Bubblemaster 250 skimmer for this tank which is rated to handle almost 4x the capacity of this tank. Still need to order this baby.

Substrate or Barebottom:

I decided to go with a more natural look and feel plus i like the snow white look so i'm gonna be using substrate in this tank.

Still need to sit and plan aquascaping and which fish i intend keeping but would definitely like to keep some schooling fish and Tangs.

That's all the details for now....as soon as I make any more progress I'll be sure to keep you guys/girls updated.

Ciao for now

Gix

Last edited by a moderator: 22 Apr 2010
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Welcome BACK Gixxer! Great to have you on-board again! Fantastic, mate! I am following your thread with anticipation! Your tank was previously really looking good!

4. Gixxerk4

Gixxerk4 Thread Starter

Shotto! Thanks Jacques!

5. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

BTW: Some really fantastic equipment that you have/planning to have! That skimmer alone is a MONSTER for your sized tank!

6. Adee

Adee

Welcome back Gix....your set-up way back then, inspried me to what my tank looks like today...of course those frags I got from you back then, also helped :)

I'm, sure this tank is going to be awesome!

7. Gixxerk4

Gixxerk4 Thread Starter

Yip. Gonna get the good stuff first time around ;)

8. Gixxerk4

Gixxerk4 Thread Starter

Thanks for the kind words buddy! Gona be a while before this tank gets off the ground but i'm gonna take it slowly. Will get there eventually.

9. Fires

Fires

Hi Gix,Your tank look G8 !!!

10. Gixxerk4

Gixxerk4 Thread Starter

Thanks Shaun. That was my previous setup

11. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Awesome, awesome, awesome Gix!!! Where are you getting your Zeovit products from? Importing it directly from KZ? Also I see you you planning on using a DSB with it. Any particular reason?

12. Gixxerk4

Gixxerk4 Thread Starter

Lol...dude i was not and most likely will be not using Zeo on this tank..I don't think anybody's bringing the stuff in anyway. I just meant that I wanna get try and get Zeo colours out of the sps without using Zeo. ;)

IF i had access to the Zeo range i'd still use a Carribsea DSB...purely for the fact that it acts as a great safety net just incase anything goes wrong. Also have you seen Iwan Lasser's tank? He ran a combination of Prodibio and Zeo with a DSB and a pure T5 setup. He has a simple setup and it works. His tank is my inspiration dude!

13. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

very cool!
    great colours

14. Afsal

Afsal

gix , we need a link to lasser's tank

15. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Old tank was WOW, can't wait for the new one - keeping an eye on it ;)

16. Gixxerk4

Gixxerk4 Thread Starter

17. Mekaeel

Ah ok, I see. Have you thought about using the Neo Zeo route? I have been using it for a few months now, and im very pleased with the results. I still have decent colours although I havent done a water change in months :nono:
    Yeah, Lasses tank is awesome, no doubt!

18. Gixxerk4

Gixxerk4 Thread Starter

Lazy bum! lol! Nah haven't even looked at their products yet. Would like the tank to run with the basic filtration setup first and see what kind of results i get.

19. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Nice to see one of the SPS masters starting up again. :thumbup: Best of luck with the new system Gix. :)

20. Mekaeel

lol. Cool man. Looking forward to it :)

21. clinton stanford

clinton stanford

sounds awesome man:thumbup: will be keeping an eye out for this build! love the light unit:) good luck and remember to post lots of pics;)

Recent Posts