Reaction score
Howsit guys/gals

The time has finally come where I can now start planning my new SPS reeftank
clap.gif
. It's been 3 years since my last reeftank and i've been itching to setup a new one. Just had to sort out some other priorities first tho...like getting married lol.

The last setup i had was more of a testing ground for me to get the feel of keeping SPS and fish successfully. I made lots of mistakes in purchasing cheap inadequate equipment and then having to pay for it later by having to buy other equipment again. I still managed to make a success of the tank though with really basic equipment (most of which was DIY'd), LOTS of research and some good advice from Liaquat.

These are some of the last few pics that was taken of my previous tank just before it was shutdown.

Gix-FTS.jpg

Gix-FTS-halides.jpg

My new setup will house mainly SPS and a few LPS. My goal for the new tank is to get the colour of my sps popping without using Zeovit..

The specs for the new tank are as follows:

Tank:

1300mm (L) x 900mm (W) x 650mm (H) in 10mm glass with Euro bracing. Tank is going to be built by Adriaan from Idol Marine and will have the skinny overflow along the back panel. I'm a big fan of wide tanks coz you just have so much more possibilites for aquascaping and ofcourse more space for fish to swim.

This is a quick diagram i put together to show the scale of things.. If i'm not mistaken i think Adriaan said he's going to build the stand in 50mm square tubing.

Reeftanklayout.jpg

Lighting:

I've always been a fan of halides on my previous setup but eventually got onto the ATI T5's and fell inlove with them. They give off less heat which means no chiller and kick out more than enuf par to satisfy the needs of SPS corals. I decided to light this tank a 6x54w ATI Sunpower Module. It's pricey but worth it in the long run i believe. Will be ordering this unit in a couple of days time. Can't wait for it to arrive!!

Here's a taster of what the Sunpower units look like.. (hope the pics come out)

ati-sunpower-t5-2.jpg

ati-sunpower-t5.jpg

Flow:

In-tank circulation will be provided by Tunze. Not sure exactly which ones i'll go for when i'm ready but most likely 4 x 6105's on a multi-controller 7095. May possibly add another 2 at a later stage again.

Calcium Reactor:

I will be using the DIY reactor from my previous setup which worked brilliantly IMO and should be adequate to handle this system until I can buy another reactor. It's being shipped up from CT as i'm typing this.

Here's a couple of pics of what it looks like...

IMGP1200-resized.jpg

IMGP1202-resized.jpg

Sump Layout:

Still planning this but will definitely be going the Carribsea DSB route again.

Skimmer:

More is better..right? How bout ...3 or 4x more lol...With my previous setup I learned that this is actually the heart of one's tank and didn't wanna compromise so I decided to go with the Bubblemaster 250 skimmer for this tank which is rated to handle almost 4x the capacity of this tank. Still need to order this baby.

Substrate or Barebottom:

I decided to go with a more natural look and feel plus i like the snow white look so i'm gonna be using substrate in this tank.

Still need to sit and plan aquascaping and which fish i intend keeping but would definitely like to keep some schooling fish and Tangs.

That's all the details for now....as soon as I make any more progress I'll be sure to keep you guys/girls updated.

Ciao for now

Gix

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Welcome back Gix....your set-up way back then, inspried me to what my tank looks like today...of course those frags I got from you back then, also helped :)

I'm, sure this tank is going to be awesome!
Thanks for the kind words buddy! Gona be a while before this tank gets off the ground but i'm gonna take it slowly. Will get there eventually.

Reaction score
Lol...dude i was not and most likely will be not using Zeo on this tank..I don't think anybody's bringing the stuff in anyway. I just meant that I wanna get try and get Zeo colours out of the sps without using Zeo. ;)

IF i had access to the Zeo range i'd still use a Carribsea DSB...purely for the fact that it acts as a great safety net just incase anything goes wrong. Also have you seen Iwan Lasser's tank? He ran a combination of Prodibio and Zeo with a DSB and a pure T5 setup. He has a simple setup and it works. His tank is my inspiration dude!

dallasg

Reaction score
very cool!
great colours

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Old tank was WOW, can't wait for the new one - keeping an eye on it ;)

Mekaeel

Reaction score
Lol...dude i was not and most likely will be not using Zeo on this tank..I don't think anybody's bringing the stuff in anyway. I just meant that I wanna get try and get Zeo colours out of the sps without using Zeo. ;)

IF i had access to the Zeo range i'd still use a Carribsea DSB...purely for the fact that it acts as a great safety net just incase anything goes wrong. Also have you seen Iwan Lasser's tank? He ran a combination of Prodibio and Zeo with a DSB and a pure T5 setup. He has a simple setup and it works. His tank is my inspiration dude!
Ah ok, I see. Have you thought about using the Neo Zeo route? I have been using it for a few months now, and im very pleased with the results. I still have decent colours although I havent done a water change in months :nono:
Yeah, Lasses tank is awesome, no doubt!

Reaction score
Lazy bum! lol! Nah haven't even looked at their products yet. Would like the tank to run with the basic filtration setup first and see what kind of results i get.

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
Nice to see one of the SPS masters starting up again. :thumbup: Best of luck with the new system Gix. :)