Giant elephant ear eats cat

Reaction score
The other morning I noticed that 1 of my 2 eel-tail striped catfish (+/-10cm) was missing. As these 2 are normally the 1st to arrive at dinner time I was a little worried, and did a full search of the tank, trying to pear into every little nook and cranny, but with no success. Half up, and at the back of the tank I did notice my giant elephant ear was closed up, but didn't think much of it.
I searched regularly though the day, with still no success.
At about 9.30, just as I was turning the room light off, I noticed the ear had opened, and there was something on the reef. On closer inspection, there was my catfish. Half dissolved, and eaten.

Did the ear grab the cat? Unlikely, unless the cat decided to rest on the ear, which I had never seen them do, they prefer to lay on the bottom.
Did it die and float into it. Unlikely, as it seemed very healthy, and if it did die, it seems highly unlikely for the current pattern to push it up there.

Any ideas?
Also, these cats are normally in schools, so should I replace him to keep a pair?

A very WARM welcome to MASA Ajay! Please create a new thread on our "New Members" forum and tell us more about yourself, your tank, your life stock, hardware, etc.... :)

BTW: Elephant ears (mushrooms) are known to devour sleeping fish that might land up on top of the elephant ears, during night-time....
They are family of the anemones..... The sleeping fish might have drifted onto the elephant ear during the night, pushed by the current in your tank?

Welcome to MASA :)

Welcome to the forum, sorry to hear about the cat, but the elephants ear is well known as a fish muncher.

Welcome, any pics of this fish, it sounds like it must be pretty mean :)

Welcome to MASA!! Happy times...

Back
Top Bottom