Giant Clam & Cleaner Shrimps

Reaction score
I acquired a giant calm today. Really nice species.

Acclimatised over 5 hours.

1247ad849f75fd3.jpg

I noticed tonight that my cleaner shrimps are all over the clam. Looks like they are picking away at the clam.

Is this something to be concerned about ?

looks awesome, still need to get one of these.

Not sure about the cleaner shrimp but should be ok, never heard of a cleaner shrimp attacking corals.....

I've had cleaner wrasses attacking my clam - there was about 9 in my tank, but in my reef tank I have 1 cleaner wrasse and 2 cleaner shrimps with 2 clams and all seems to be OK

My 2 cleaner shrimp occasionally used to spend a bit of time walking over my Squamosa clam, they never did any damage though.

p.s. Nice fancy border around your photo.

The clam is not looking good. he has retracted into his shell. And the cleaner are still all over him.

Should I remove him from the tank?

Almost looks like something has injured the clam.

Any idea what creature would do this.

It's only just arrived, give it time to settle, there may be some dirt on it that the shrimp are interested in, the clam will take some time to get used to the attention.

Hopefully Wee-Man is right, but it could also be a sign that the clam is dying, but it looks pretty good in the pic though, try and put the shrimps in the sump for a day or two and see if the clam settles in and opens up again.

I don't know if it is the correct way to do it but I just sort of roll them around very gently in my hands under the water, turn him upside down and and roll him around to try and disperse or dislodge any air bubbles that may be in there.

Another thing you need to consider is that clams stress very easily and do not like being moved around all the time, you need to decide on a place for him then put him there and leave him alone.

Have you had a look at his byssal gland, does it appear to be damaged or ripped?

I don't know if it is the correct way to do it but I just sort of roll them around very gently in my hands under the water, turn him upside down and and roll him around to try and disperse or dislodge any air bubbles that may be in there.

Another thing you need to consider is that clams stress very easily and do not like being moved around all the time, you need to decide on a place for him then put him there and leave him alone.

Have you had a look at his byssal gland, does it appear to be damaged or ripped?

Where is this gland ?

It's at the bottom of the shell at one of the ends, it is the soft part which it uses to attach itself to rocks. Some people are not aware of this and give the clam a good tug as it feels 'stuck', thereby tearing or damaging the byssal gland which could cause the clam to die.

I hope that hasn't happened. I will check it out. Could this be the reason the cleaner have been after him ?

Back
Top Bottom