GHA

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by dizzyg, 7 Feb 2012.

1. dizzyg

dizzyg Red Sea Max 250

Hi All

Until recently I had 2 tangs and a foxface in my tank, my tank being only 250l got too small for them very quickly so they were returned to the LFS to be re-homed!

What I have noticed now that the 3 are gone is that I get GHA outbreaks and even pulling it off the rocks manually during a water change isnt enough.

So what can I put in to clean the GHA that wont outgrow the tank and that will eat the GHA? my true Mexican turbo snails don't seem interested, even if I place them on the GHA.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

Hopefully this Article can help steer you in the right direction...:)

Green Hair Algae by Stephen Hopple - Reefkeeping.com

Last edited: 7 Feb 2012
  4. Express Reef

Express Reef

5. crispin

crispin

Firstly well done on doing the right thing for those tangs and getting them out a system that is too small for them:) big + for that.

to work out why you are getting such GHA outbreaks we realy need a little more info from you as it seems like you have a slight imballance in the system which has been further exagerated by the removal of macro harvesters like tangs. Ive always been of the opinion that the best way to kill something is to starve it and the same applies to algae, the tangs were just keeping it in check and are NOT a controll for algae removal, in my opinion.

Can you give us a run down of your filtration here (just a quick view of how your sump is set up to save us reading your whole tank thread) and what your feeding routines are for the LS you have (list the other fish you have).

most often its phosphate thats comming into the system that leads to GHA, and that is normally one of two things....over feeding (especially with defrosted frozen foods and flakes) and possibly from over satutrated media which leaks bound phosphate back into the water.

but give us a little more info and lets see if we cant help you beat the swaying lawn your snails dont want to eat:)

6. Tony

Tony

Me I'm a bacteria nut. Crispin is right that phosphates are getting into your system and you have to figure out from where to get rid of the problem for once and for all.

Do you use RO water for make up and top up water? What is your TDS on your RO water

The rock could have been bought with the phosphates in them and they are leaching them into the system now causing all sorts of havoc.

7. dizzyg

dizzyg Thread Starter Red Sea Max 250

Hi Guys

I think my biggest issue is I recently moved house, but in me moving house my tank moved twice, once from my old house to my dads house while my new house was being built and then from my dads house to my new house, its only been in for a few months now and I have seen "mini cycles" and what not, just some issues popping up now that I have never had in the past.

I am using RO water but I wasnt too keen on it, TDS was about 4, I have this past weekend gotten my waterboy RO:DI up and running again with new filters in it so from now on my TDS should be back to 0.

I only feed pellets, once every second day, lights are on from 12pm to 9pm, I might change that to 3pm to 9pm and just see if that helps a bit.

when I last did a nitrate and phosphate test (about a week ago) my nitrates were at about 0.75 and phosphates were low too but I forget the reading, ill do some more tests this evening.

salinity is 1.025, temp is 25 (using a chiller) skimmer runs 24/7 and I clean it out once a week, LOADS of skimmate.

I think its down to the two moves, the tank didnt get a chance to settle at my dads and then I moved it again.

current stocking list

2 pajama cardinal
    2 purple firefish
    2 black and white clowns
    1 flame angel
    1 watchman goby
    1 6 line wrasse
    1 blue wrasse that needs to go but is a complete mission to catch

I dont think the tank is over stocked?

CUC is 2 true mexican turbo, 2 cleaner shrimp and about a billion astera stars

8. Tony

Tony

It seems you are doing all the right things. Try the bacteria and vodka dosing to bring down nutrients which are trapped in the rocks. Stability is good and you can start with a vodka dose of 0.5ml per 100 litres of water per day for two weeks. You can then increase this too 1ml of vodka per 100 litres per day. This will help reduce the nutrients trapped in your rocks and outcompete the alga for nutrients. Turn your skimmer off overnight when adding the bacteria and turn it on the next morning. The skimmer will go nuts for a while so set it a bit drier and you will get a lot more skimmate from vodka dosing. You can add new bacteria every week. After a few weeks you will notice the alga reducing and falling off the rocks

crispin likes this.
  9. dizzyg

Thanks Tony, Iv never used Vodka before, when you say bacteria dosing what bacteria do you mean?

I have recently bought the new red sea Algae Management - NO3:pO4-X which I have started using, should I skip this and try vodka dosing instead?

10. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

You are in Durban.
    Go down to some rock pools and collect yourself some Nerita snails.
    Only problem is that they are intertidal and climb out, especially with full moon. But after 2 or 3 months they learn to stay inside. If you do not know what they look like, just Google image Nerita. But do not take the white ones. They take forever before they learn that your tank does not have a high and low tide.

But first get your permit.

Last edited: 8 Feb 2012
  11. Tony

Tony

You can use products Like Prodbio biodiget or Seachem Stability. These are bacteria used to reduce nutrients in your tank They come in vials and bottles and you add a specific amount depending on your water volume. The vodka feeds the bacteria allowing higher populations which quickly reduce the nitrates and phosphates which are fuelling the algal problem. Any cheap vodka will do. I dont know what the read sea product is but I will google it and revert. I looks like its a carbon source to feed bacteria along with trace elements and micro nutrients for the bacteria and corals. I havent personally used the product but red sea is a decent brand so give it a try and see how it works for you. You could possibly give us a review on the product with before and after pics

12. dizzyg

Ill continue with the red sea products and start with some photos!

13. mupwi

mupwi

I would sugest puting some cheto in there dont know if there is space in the back seing as you dont have a sump but I have heard ov ppl growing it in hund on fillters aswell compleatly cleand up my gha and I was harvesting 400grams /week before I put it in

14. crispin

crispin

dizzyg it sounds like you have almost all the answers already to sorting out the algae. go over what tony has advised, its all soild advice and might need you to study up on some of the techniques (vodca dosing is worth reading up on before you start and you need to know whats going on first) but it sounds like all you need is time.

i would hazard a guess that the tank has taken a knock or two with the moves and as you say its gone through some mini cycles. Its very possible that there has been some largish organisms that have died in the LR, or bacteria in a fairly large quantity. This is breaking down and being consumed by the algae as a fertiliser. It doesnt sound like you have an external source of nutrient comming into the tank. Its easier to sort out an external source (you just stop it) but the good news is that your tank will still have all the 'good' bacteria you need to process the waste thats developing.

Thinking about it i personally wouldnt carbon dose this tank at the moment, it sounds a little too unstable and i fear you will get an outbreak of cyano, but bare in mind i am sitting in Norway and havent ever seen your tank. I would dose with a bacterial source (microbac 7 from brightwell, or special blend from sea chem) would do and give the tank time. Time. Time. Let me say it one more time, give the tank time. It needs to recover, ballance and grow and thats going to take a while before you see the difference.

also dont add to the bioload if you can avoide it. dont add fish and especially dont add fish that like meaty foods. wait a while and get ontop of the algae before adding anything to the tank ok?

Recent Posts