GHA

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by rob189, 28 May 2011.

1. rob189

rob189

why do i have it?! water params are perfect. why? not over feeding coz there arnt any. so why?! i have only one plausable explanation...i use drinking RO water for top ups. could that be it? i had it tested today. it was 29TDS. ...please help

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. AndrévN

AndrévN

How old is your tank. 29 is not that high. Ive seen some tanks using ro with that readings. All over nature gha grows. There is just fish and urchins etc. grazing it and keeping it under control. And remember when there is gha the phosphates are trapped inside them, when they die off they release this and the problem keeps on going. And it aint a lost battle but do you run a phos remover? How is your lighting regime ? What cleaning crew do you have in your tank ? Things like these can make a huge difference.

4. Annoying

Annoying

Max already asked a few very important questions especially on how old your tank is. Like max said hair algae trap the nutrients by using them. What is the amount of flow in your tank, to little flow can cause detritus to settle and then turn into nutrients, then the nutrients are used so fast that it doesn't show on the readings. Also try to run your skimmer on wet, also what skimmer and other filtration's are you running? Also you can try to uplift the sand to release any trapped detritus to flow into the skimmer. If all of this still doesn't work then you should think of an algae scrubber, very easy to DIY just search the DIY forum.

5. IMarine

IMarine

hey bra the drinking ro unit is incorrect,you need to rather contact Marco at water boy and get a ro unit for marine tanks,as the filters they use in ro water drinking units will cause a problem and that all depends on the filters been used,and a tds of 29 will cause a algae bloom

6. rob189

rob189 Thread Starter

ok thanks for all the comments.....

the tank is almost a year old. i have quite a bit of flow... 5000L, 6000L and 4000L powerheads. had a scrubber...it broke..going to make a new one. have a fuge in my sump on the DSB with chaeto and caleurpra. @Annoying: i think ur right about the readings coz my phosphates have been 0 for 2 months.

im going to add a deionizor to the RO unit so i can turn a tap and the water will skip the the mineral chambers and go through the deionizer instead... i hope all questions were answered. now we can come up with solutions :)

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  7. Annoying

Annoying

Could you maybe post a pic of your tank and engine room? A pic always help, maybe we can see something you have missed.

8. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

Robin, like I said this morning its almost certainly caused by collecting your NSW from the Aquarium. All the other guys who have major GHA problems in EL at the moment have been collecting from there. Change your NSW source and I think you will go a long way to curbing the problem.

9. Seabass

Seabass

Did you use reef booster and then had the bloom? could be the cause.

How are the new fish. that bi colour looked great, and the clown I think are stunning.

10. rob189

rob189 Thread Starter

i think kunhardt is right...was at the aquarium today. looks like the pipe goes into the shark tank :(

11. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

dude do you seroiusly collect from the aquarium?

irrespective of where their water is pulled from (the shark pool or the sea) it is pumped over the road and particle filtered through a french drain system, id hate too see how much kak is rotting in there, i would even suggest rather taking water direct from the sea than from their facility..

its sad but true..

12. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

Yip, the one time I did collect from there my water had this raw sewage smell to it...never again I tell you! :eek:

13. leslie hempel

if in an emergency you somehow have to collect there allow the water ro run for a minute plus before putting it into your drums.. the water in the pipe lays stagnant and becomes anoxic creating hydrogen sulphide, thats the smell you are smelling..

14. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

Mmmm...yes probably was. :blush:

15. jaybeepee

jaybeepee

All you need:

1. small petrol pump with long pool hose connected
    2. bakkie with nice big container on back
    3. a lekker drive to yellows mouth when the tide is pushing ;)

16. leslie hempel

you missing an important ingriedient to assist with passing the time

:peroni::whistling:

17. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

Robin, just give Les and Clinton a shout, sure they wont mind u tagging along to get some water next time they collect.

...speaking of which, where is Clinton? He's been MIA for awhile now.

18. rob189

rob189 Thread Starter

greetings...ok definatley not going to the aquarium again thats for sure

could someone please elaborate on the petrol pump. like where can i get one from? for how much? coz ive a 220L drum in the bakkie waiting :)

thanks

19. leslie hempel

husgavana in cambridge you looking at approx R2500 for the pump couplers and hose will set you back another R500 - R700, an inverter and a normal 3000lph or 4000lph pump is cheaper, would cost approx R1k to set up, just connect to your car battery and you a 4 away

Last edited: 1 Jun 2011
  20. Seabass

Seabass

Buy a 25 lt drum, go to parking in front of Gonubie hotel, R 20 in hand, pay the guys doing car guard, they will fill it for you.

21. rob189

rob189 Thread Starter

:( damn! i was hoping for something in like the R200 range...

Recent Posts