GHA on sun (tubastrea) coral frag

Discussion in 'Nuisance Algae' started by Wesd, 30 Apr 2013.

1. Wesd

Wesd

Hello all, over the last few days i have see rapid growth of what appears to be green hair algae,
    on a small section of my tubastrea (sun) coral frag, i have removed as much of it by
    hand as possible. This is the only spot in the tank that has GHA, is there anything i can do to keep it under
    control so that it does not damage the frag, possibly a convict surgeon or something like
    that? (something that can be found locally if possible). Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

Is this a new frag?

When i got my suncoral frag , i used a toothbush and gently brushed out the crevases of all the GHA it had. That seemed to help with the problem.

This was after the clean, since then the suncoral has developed several new heads and old ones have started to grow back.
    [​IMG]

4. archiecrain

archiecrain

I would leave the algae on it as it can be even more damaging to the coral to handle it while removing it. Unless you can remove it very gently.....

Remember it is caused by the fact that the flesh has receded and the algae is living off the phosphates that the skeleton is leaching.....or there has been a buildup of detrius that has caused the recession and caused the algae.

One of my sun corals that I have came with this and all I have done is focus on getting it back to good health to get the coral to re-cover the old dead areas and I use a turkey baster to blow off detrius and exess food. eventually the coral takes over the areas again.

Last edited: 30 Apr 2013
  5. Wesd

Wesd Thread Starter

thanks guys, ive had the frag for over a month now, it was given to me by somebody else and wasnt looking good when i got it, manage to get it back to good health and it was looking fantastic until this GHA, most of the polyps are still looking good theres about 5 that are struggling with the algae, ive now moved it into a very dark area to see if it helps, will try post some pics later :)

6. Wesd

Wesd Thread Starter

2.jpg

2.jpg

Last edited: 2 May 2013
  7. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

Moving it to a shaded area will definitely help to slow down/stop algae growth & give the coral a chance to open up again.

If it doesnt help, i will definitely use @butchermans advice & give it a soft scrub with a toothbrush!

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  8. Bflynn

Bflynn

I use a toothbrush for baby's. They are super soft.

9. Wesd

Wesd Thread Starter

ok thanks guys, i have it in a really dark spot (just took it out of there to get the pic) so hopefully it helps, if not baby toothbrush here we come :D

10. butcherman

well the good news is the heads that are opening look super healthy

11. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Dont think scrubbing any stony coral with a toothbrush is a good idea. If you scrubbing hard enough to remove GHA, youll be scrubbing hard enough to damage tissue.
    That isnt alot of algae on the coral and as Buthcherman says it does look healthy. Rather pic off the algae with tweezers. If your tank parameters are good the algae will die back in no time.

12. Wesd

Wesd Thread Starter

even the polyps that have the algae around them are still looking pretty good and are still partially opening at feeding time, the rest of the polyps remain open almost constantly :)

13. butcherman

a good sign.

just keep your water parameters right and wait for the micro herbivorse to move in ;) will be looking stunning in no time.

14. Wesd

Wesd Thread Starter

i'll put up a pic of it just before the algae bloom, it was looking amazing :)

15. Wesd

Wesd Thread Starter

turret 1_1.jpg

turret 1_1.jpg

16. Wesd

Wesd Thread Starter

this is the little 'cave' ive made for the frag so that its in the dark :) , the algae already seems a little less dense, so fingers crossed that it keeps receeding :D

03052013731.jpg

03052013731.jpg

Recent Posts