GHA invasion

Hay bud this is a trick iv done once you get you water right you just take the rocks that have the gha on it a turn them face down thus staving it from light and it will die and get skimmed out but if you have water issuies it will just grow on a new spot
thats fine to do if you dont have any corals on those rocks and from what I understand ripping his reef apart is not what Dean wants to do.

DeatT how difficult is it to remove the longer more established areas by hand in the mean time to keep it in check untill water parameters start stabalising?

thats fine to do if you dont have any corals on those rocks and from what I understand ripping his reef apart is not what Dean wants to do.

DeatT how difficult is it to remove the longer more established areas by hand in the mean time to keep it in check untill water parameters start stabalising?

Ya bud you rite it helps if you starts this trick early and get it under control from day one but thought I would put it out there maybe some can use this info lol

I would certainly suggest emerald crabs. I had gha in the new tank after cycling and added two. I have ZERO gha now, they are bloody machines i tell u

Agree with rakabos, had some gha on branches of my candy cane. emerald crabs was just added and they went straight to it and in about an hour, gone.

Emerald crabs are great, but when your GHA is finished you will need to supplement their feeding as they can start eating your corals. However, I still want one, really cool crabs!

Ai, wish i had the same results with mine. He is absolutely LAZY!! I have tons of GHA, and it seems as if though he's not even a bit interested in doing his part in the tank... :dft004:

Ai, wish i had the same results with mine. He is absolutely LAZY!! I have tons of GHA, and it seems as if though he's not even a bit interested in doing his part in the tank...

With all things in marines, it can go either way.:(

Corals didn't look to happy the last
Few days , but today they seemed better. Maybe the bio cubes taking control
I have added phosguard to the tank today and will see if this makes a difference
Will Also cut the MH on the tank off for the next few
Days to see if this has any influence
On the GHA

Okay so I have now got orca cubes running in bio pellet reactor since last week.
Added phosphate reactor with phosguard on weekend , to ensure we covering all bases.

I have also cut my mh time to 1 hr per day, to see if the GHA will hopefully die off.
I will increase the mh light one it has subsided.
T5 's are still running about 8hrs a day.

What is the minimum light period a day required for corals and anenome ?
Don't want mess with them at the same time.
still dosing tank with bio digest and bioptim but was trying to find some urchins in cape town to add to my tank, my 2 aren't managing to conquer at the moment, but they are doing a good job

/

Hi DeanT, ive been reading your article about your GHA and im interested to know the progress at the moment, im having the same outbreak and before trying everything i would like to know what helped for you,

@hassen
I started off being depressed about it and thought it would never go away
I decide to throw everything possible at the problem
In hope of getting rid of it

Did a few things
cut my halide time Down from about 5 hrs to 1hr ( slowly bringing back 1 extra hour per week )
Introduced a phosphate and orca bio cubes reactor
Stopped feeding frozens and reduced feeding

started scrubbing rocks and siphoning the detritus out of the tank
Added prodibio bio digest and bioptim

my methods seemed to have made a big difference and now I seem to be at the end of the problem

Only downside is that I had to loose some of my corals as there was no way of gettin rid of the gha and they were dying slowly no matter what I did. This wasn't caused due to reduced light as my anemones and in affected corals are all good

Also lost a fish or 2 as I didn't realize they needed the frozen foods

I guess that comes with experience but glad my problem is gone and glad to start the new year with a better looking tank
Also tank maturity seems to be coming along much better which also helps

I guess the combination of a few things made the difference

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom