Getting to big Crab

Discussion in 'ID Needed' started by mytank, 7 Jun 2012.

1. mytank

mytank

I had seen this guy for a while, in the spirit of not killing everything I find and don't know what it is I left it. I observe it almost every night know where it stays (for now) and have seen it eat. Mostly algae off the rocks.

My worry is now that the Zeo is kicking in and the algae is going away it might start finding other things like coral and fish tasty.

Description:

1. Light beige VERY hairy legs - the end of the legs are like POINTS looks like one of the bad guys in spider man or something...
    2. Head part is DARK brown with light beige stripes or markings.
    3. Very beady brown eyes
    4. Has two big a$$ pincers both brown then goes into the light beige arms.

Pics - You have to find wally... in the middle of the pic in the rock you can usually see is legs. He can pick up any light including red light so this is the best shots I have been able to get of him in the last two weeks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Helga

Helga

Its like you are describing the monster I had in my tank! I also left him because I thought he was not harming anything. He stayed in the same spot. Everynight just before lights out he would come out and pick on the rock with his massive pincers. But he grew at an astonishing and scary rate.
    Decided to try and catch him with a tall glass and some bate.... no go!!!!
    Then one night I saw him and my Flame Hawk have a go at each other. The Hawk pounced forward and to my surprise he pounced back... This was it! He had to be sumped.
    I waited patiently until he was semi in the open. I was ready for him. Took one of hubbies Compound Bow's graphite arrows, and pinned him down. Grabbed the tong and fished him out.... Must say... the adrenilin was pumping after this. But he is safely in the sump!
    Good luck, theyre very clever and not easy to catch :eek:

4. mytank

mytank Thread Starter

Firstly I never like it when it's not a win win situation and wanted to sump him. The extraction process didn't allow and the poor bugger didn't make it. I am not to happy about that but I really didn't want to make this painful.
    @Helga this guy has grown about x4 times his size in 4 weeks.....

Anyway here is the aftermath - I would still like to know what it was and if he was a baddy-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  5. Helga

Helga

Jip, same one...sorry he didnt make it though. They are very difficult to get out without hurting them.

6. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

Hi mytank, ive got exactly the same one in my refuge tank, i first found him in my old tank & was able to get him out with the glass jar method. (he was +- 1cm)
    Now he is about 5cm.
    Ive carefully watched him the first couple weeks, & i always saw him picking up sandgrains & cleaning them one by one...
    Not sure what they are called, but im sure they are sandsifters/scavengers...
    Will try to get a pic of mine.

Recent Posts