Getting started

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Ghost1987, 17 Oct 2011.

1. Ghost1987

Ghost1987

Hey guys, did some shopping around. Popped into Wild on Pets on saturday. They didnt have much to offer on the tank side of things, but their live stock is quite unreal. Shopped around some more. Found a Boyu TL 550 for a real good price and thinking of getting one of those. Good or bad?

And if I do go that route. Forgive me for asking if this has been asked a million times before. What will I need to just get it running. Water wise and so on. I'm in no rush to get live stock in there. I just want to get the water in, the system running and so on. I thought I had a fair idea on what to do here but each pet store has spun me a different story.

What salt? Crushed Coral? Any do's or don'ts for starting it off?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

the TL-550 are ok, there are some issues with regards to skimmers and lighting as progressing further these will become limitations, the skimmer works ok'ish, the liights are on par, but there are better nano's/small tanks out there at the mo.

i know they have a nano cube 28g which has a great skimmer, proper filtration, cooling and heating and lighting that can keep all corals.

thats my 2c and experience running a TL-550

4. Jeann1

Jeann1

Hi.

Loads of guys run the boyu's and they have no probs.. cant comment on that, since i dont have one.

You need marine RO water - basically a TDS of 0.. you then need marine salt.. there are a few brands out there, depends on what you want, most used brands i would say is Tetra, Seachem, Salinity, Brightwells, Red Sea, Tropic Marine and the Microbelift salts. You will need a good hydrometer, or refractometer to make your salt mix..
    First get your RO water , get it to 25 degrees, and then add salt.. if you can get a small flow pump for mixing.. let it mix thouroghly ... some people leave it overnight to make sure its mixed 100 %

You need loads of live rock - i believe the boyu's are not drilled for a sump.. so use live rock as your main filtration - depending on the unit (i take it the 550 is 550l) use 10-20 % of that as live rock ( 55 kg minimum)

U can use crushed coral, but it has to be a grain size of 1-2 mm max.. most likely you wont find that, so rather get "aragonite".. loads of different types available.

and then you let the tank cycle ( refering to the nitrogen-cycle)

@Tobes has a nice link in his signature about this

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  5. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

I also like the NANO cube 28g all in one solution!

6. Ghost1987

Ghost1987 Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. Not sure why its called the 550. I think its a 128l capacity unless I've read the specs wrong. I'm going to have to write all this down lol...

7. Ghost1987

Ghost1987 Thread Starter

This RO water of which you speak. Do I get that from the Aquarium store? And whats the price on it?
    want to basically get the water and salt in. Get the tank running to I can start monitoring the water.

8. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Link in my signature on starting a marine tank ;)

Recent Posts