Getting Started - Durban

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by J_bay, 30 Aug 2010.

1. J_bay

J_bay

Howzit guys,

Like I said in my intro thread, I will be moving to Durban at the end of September, and I would like to get a marine tank going when I get there.

I just have a couple of questions for the local guys, and hopefully they'll be able to point me in the right direction. Also, some general questions for anyone keen on helping point me in the right direction.

I want to set up a tank of about 4 or 5 ft, I'd like a 6ft tank, but they're a bit expensive, but hey if I can get one at a good bargain, I'll take it.

My questions are:

1) Regarding live rock, do you have to buy the expensive rock in the pet shops, or can you collect live rock from our rock pools etc. Is this allowed, or are our live rocks no good?

2) Here in East London we collect a lot of fish from the rock pools, even right in front of my house, sadly, I didn't research enough and killed all the ones I tried to keep, but I do have a very nice Lionfish that has been going for about 6 months now! How are Durban's rock pools for fish collection. I'm not all that into diving etc, so I would mostly want to collect from the pools. I don't really want to buy fish, because it's a lot of fun to collect your own. It's just that some people say Durban's rocks are dead...

That's basically it for now, most of my other questions have been answered by looking around the site!

Hope to meet some of you local guys when I get down there.

Cheers,

Jared

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. ravi

ravi

welcome

hi there. welcome to masa. you did yourself the best thing by getting onto this forum. i am also new and this forum is such a blessing. i have started my tank about 3 weeks ago and its going great. my advice is read read and read. dont feel shy to ask questions no matter how trivial it may be. i would concentrate on getting the best hardware u can afford first eg. pumps, skimmer, sump etc. with regard to size of tank bigger is better with some decent depth. not too deep though or else cleaning becomes difficult. plan yr system carefully and you will reap all the benefits. enjoy...

4. J_bay

J_bay Thread Starter

Thanks Ravi. I'm going to do it slowly in stages, buying the tank and then the other hardware needed, I want to assemble it and plumb it as money and time allow, then make sure it's all nice before even thinking about filling etc.

The thing is, eventually I will need live rocks and fish and so on, so that is why I asked the questions regarding those things.

5. ravi

ravi

ok. why i said tank first is cos then you will know how much rock is needed. anyways its nice to know in advance. a friend gave me some live rock to startup and they were local. i havent had any problems. dont buy anything without researching price or availability. mistakes happen just dont let them be costly.

6. AfricaOffroad

AfricaOffroad

You will only get help from the Durban members if you change your user name to :

D_ban.

Get yourself along to the next club meeting (end of each month), good way of making contact quickly. A word of caution, there are a few guys to watch out for (I'll pm you their names) LOL!

7. J_bay

J_bay Thread Starter

Lol, thanks AO!!!

8. durleo

durleo

masahello

Welcome to Masa - Well the rock we get in durban is not very porous so it is not suited for live rock - We have beautiful fish in the durban rockpools - you can check around umhlanga - umhloti - ballito -
    Let us know what type of tank you want to setup and we can advise accordingly.

Regards
    Duran

9. J_bay

J_bay Thread Starter

Hi Durleo,

Thanks for explaining the live rock thing. I'm kinda unsure of the type of system, I'm torn between a FOWLR or a reef tank using locally available soft corals. This assuming that you can find soft corals in Durban. I don't mind snorkeling for them, but don't really wanna go deep, not my thing...

The thing that makes it hard to decide, is that I like both reef safe, and reef unsafe fish, if that makes sense. On one hand, I like Anthias, and I'd love to have a whole bunch of them, but I also like the different kinds of Butterflies and Angels, of which as far as I know very few are reef safe, especially the Butterfly fish.

So is there any way one can sort of compromise, and keep say, butterflies and angels, thus excluding corals, but still maintain goldies?? Would it be possible to keep Goldies with a "dead" reef??

Sorry if some of these questions seem boring or if they've been asked before, but the search function on any forum generally frustrates me, lol!!

10. chikaboo

chikaboo

Welcome to MASA - Enjoy your stay here bud ..... Your biggest concern with goldies is their feeding regime .... they eat a few small meals so alot of them perish coz of starvation .... remember another thing too much foods ends up too much nutrients which in turn is not too favourable conditions for some corals and ok for others .... sounds like you plan on having more local fsh than shop bought .... there are some stunning fish on our shores .... just research before popping them in your tank .... Get together with the Durban Club and fire the questions .... plenty of advice ..... remember don't rush things in marines and you will thoroughly enjoy this hobby

11. J_bay

J_bay Thread Starter

I don't really plan on buying any fish at all, unless I see something that forces the wallet out. The main reason is, I enjoy walking on the rocks and scratching around in the pools, fishing is my main thing in life, lol, and I love fish tanks, so collecting my own fish gives me a chance to do something different on the rocks!

12. chikaboo

chikaboo

Ok not too sure down South Coast how strong is the long arm of the law but believe you me Durban and surrounding area's the Parks Board Officers are a pain in the butt ... so get your permits in order .......

13. J_bay

J_bay Thread Starter

Ya I know all about those dudes...I used to stay there when I was a kid, so I know how the parks board operate. I have all the permits, so I should be find. Do you get any kinds of soft corals around Durban?

14. chikaboo

chikaboo

Mostly Zoa's and Paly Zoa's

15. durleo

durleo

I guess you can strike a balance with soft coralss and fish - i have a semi-angel and 2 x bi-colour angels - they eat brains and the odd zoa but leave the mushrooms and sinularia and torch coral and bubble coral alone. I have jus started keeping sps and i dont think they will eat those. I also feed alot so the fish are always full:thumbup:

16. J_bay

J_bay Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses guys!

Recent Posts