Getting shrooms to cover rocks

Discussion in 'Fragging Corals' started by Charl_Stanhope, 29 Jun 2011.

1. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

Hey Guys

Ive been trying to get a thread where they show you how to frag mushrooms but I cant get a direct thread on how to get your mushrooms to cover the rock by cutting them in half. without removing them from the rock. How do you go about doing it?if you can even do it? Alot of threads say you just cut it in half on the rock and it will turn into two. Some say they just heal and others say they split in two. Whats the minimum size the mushroom should be before cutting it? Ive got two on one rock and four on another and wouldnt mind them to cover the rock. Have like 20 on the rock. What do you guys suggest. Cutting them in half seems easy. How can you make mushrooms grow faster? what can you dose? Coz Ive read they doesnt like alot of flow or hectic light? I know they dont like flow,not about the low light. please help

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Ari

Ari

My friend had a couple of mushrooms. He dosed vodka and bacteria for a while and I was blown away by how quick everything grew and the mushrooms especially, they were splitting and now this rock is covered by them:). I saw a video the other day on how to frag them... The guy cuts a mushroom in quarters and puts them on a rock (in his frag tank). Give it some time and they will grow, but not sure about cutting them without removal... Hope this helps. Good luck:)

4. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope Thread Starter

I looked at all those videos and threads on the net but they all require removal from the rock and then putting them in a container on crushed coral or something so they can attach again and then sticking them on the rock you want covered. A cool one I saw was they put it in a blender and then pouring it onto the rock and putting the rock in a frag tank and the little tiny pieces of shrooms got stuck on the rock and started growing. I still think its not possible but thats my opinion. wouldnt try it even if it works. I dont want to remove the mushrooms as Ive only got six in total. So maybe I must try the patience thing and just wait for them to spilt. Thanks for the reply

5. jacoc

jacoc

It is all about patients..fraging srooms is not the way to go..if conditions is write..2 on a rock can multiply to 20 or more within a year..easy..shroomsneed iodene to be optimal light and steam is not bad aslong the stream is not directly from the powerhead on to the shrooms ...

6. Seabass

Seabass

If you are not going to cut one off the rock then just wait, will eventually split. My suggestion is as per your you tube video search. Maybe just try it with one shroom.

Select a shroom that you have had for at least 6 months to be on the safe side that it is nice and big and healthy.
    Cut top off, leaving base behind, this will grow back.
    Cut shroom up into for starters let's say 4 quarters. These should ideally not be tiny pieces. Rather have 3 bigger pieces.
    Put in a tub with rubble, and let it attach for about a month and grow firmly onto pieces of rubble. The attaching might only take 2 to 3 days, but leave it in the tub for a month to glow and recover.
    On a weekly basis give the tube a tumble in the water to clean out any old food / poo that might have settled in the tub. But not to wildly or the shrooms might end up under the rubble and die.
    In a months time attach the pieces of rubble to a rock with aqua mend putty.

It's what I would do, I am not patient.

A pic of what I did, used bonsai net to keep ric in tub. It also allows flow as I found using woman's stockings not to be a good idea, no water flows through them, you can cut small holes in the stockings for flow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope this helps.
    PS. Use a Stanley blade or a scalpel to cut.
    Don't squash the shroom. Pic up with blade and not fingers.
    Rinse the slim off, a suggestion but not sure if required.
    U are going to have to try a couple of methods till you find one that works best for you.

This is my next project, but because she is so nice I am going to wait for her to split first. Then try it with the mother.
    [​IMG]

Good luck.
    My 2c only.

Last edited: 30 Jun 2011
    Charl_Stanhope likes this.
  7. Loki

Loki cable tie ninja

iodine makes em go crazy but use with caution.

8. Tiger eye

Tiger eye

How much iodine per liter would you sugest?

9. Charl_Stanhope

thanks for the very informative post with pics. gonna let them split on their own and then try to frag them when ive got a few big ones.

10. Charl_Stanhope

thought id be brave and try cutting one of my small shrooms down the centre in half. i€ managed to cut it but missed the centre. a week later and it seriously starts looking like its growing into two shrooms, but ill wait untill i can see for sure and post a pic. maybe its just growing weird now. but its still alive and looks like two halves(or one 3/4 and 1/4):lol: now im gonna frag gsp tomorrow and try to grow it on the back panel of my tank. :thumbup:

11. Seabass

Seabass

For info only:
    Put the gsp on the bottom of the glass, it will grow up towards the light. Just in case you did not realize this. Shot for the other advice.

12. Charl_Stanhope

Cool.will do and ill keep updated if it works, will post pics if i see the hope to be two mushrooms grow into 2. if you know what i mean. then Im gonna cut all mine:lol::lol: thanks for the gsp advice.

13. Seabass

Seabass

Are your babies splitting, my shrooms have started to spilt after about 8 months in the tank.

14. Charl_Stanhope

Wish mine would,there might be a sign that one might be splitting.to early to tell. I sure hope it is. Otherwise I'm gonna have to frag one of em and see what happens. But ill wait a lil longer. I'm in no rush. Will let you know what's happening with the one that looks like its splitting.

15. coswecanfly

coswecanfly

If you want red shrooms I have about 40 little babies growing and my big one is splitting... :biggrin:

Recent Posts