Getting shocked

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by mytank, 7 Jan 2012.

1. mytank

mytank

Hi all,

Setting up my new tank its been running for about 3 weeks now on Zeovit no inhabitants just LR and the Zeovit running. I noticed something interesting today.

I have wooded laminated flooring. When I am on that floor and in the tank I don't feel any "shock" (its more like some weird feeling making one of my finger muscles pull).

HOWEVER the tank is by my patio door, at the bottom of the door there is that metal "railing" he one that seals the door to the ground.

IF I stand on that metal "railing" and put my hand in the tank zap I start to feel that weird muscle pulling - which I think is some sort of shock...

IF I am on the wooden flooring nothing.

What's makes me wonder is in the new tank I opted for the titanium heaters which are designed to trip the electricity if there is any leakage in the water. They don't have a thermostat and run off my profilux.

To date nothing has tripped.

Anyone know what to do what to check or if this is normal?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Annoying

Annoying

Wood is an isolator thus no electricit will pass through dry wood. This is the reason why you don't earth and why you don't shock on wooden floor. Somewhere you have an electricity leak in your tank. I think the heater just detects a leakige on it's own wiring not that of others. Have a look at all your pumps and see if any of the wiring is bruised or open. Just silicon the leak to make it a bit more waterproof. I normally wear shoes when working on the tank as there is almost always a small leak somewhere.

4. mytank

mytank Thread Starter

Thank you for the reply, I will try and find the bugger. All the equipment is brand new.....

I will get @Submariner to check the equipment.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  5. Pri$m

Pri$m

Get yourself a multimeter and stick one probe in the sump and one probe to ground (earth). Turn on each piece of equipment individually and see which item is the culprit.

6. mytank

mytank Thread Starter

Good advise thank you will try that out!

7. jaquesdp08

jaquesdp08

start by switcing one item off and feel if it shocks untill you find the item that is causing the problem

8. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

I'm sorry...I couldn't resist..:005:..I'm seeing the funny side to it...:biggrin: You are aware that you are asking the man to "willingly" shock himself over and over until he spots the Culprit..?..:whistling::lol:

9. Toolboysa

Toolboysa Moderator

Man hate this happened to me. Just switch one thing off at a time then send your self to electric chair. In my case it was the very last wave maker. Had to electrocute my self through a skimmer 2 heaters a return pump and 3 wave makers only to find it was the 4th pump.

Also had stray current on my T5 penchant that I never could isolate.

10. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

check out Stray voltage in your tank: You should be worried - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

Get yourself stainless steel 316 welding rods from Alert Steel.
    R55 for 5 pack (if i can recall correctly)

Just take off the flux, and sand it clean. Make a hook, and with connector block, put a piece of wire into a standard wall plug earth. There MUST NOT be any other wires coming out of that plug. And plug it in. No more problems.

11. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

NO
    you doing it wrong.
    Unplug everything
    then put one by one back, until you get a reading.

but Heaters are difficult. Put them in a bucket with colder water and watch out for the indicator light. Had a heater once that hit me with 132V. BZZZZZZZZ

Last edited: 8 Jan 2012
  12. Bendor

Bendor

@RiaanP

I just sorted my ATO out and now the pump in my ro reservoir is shocking me. This is the very same brand new pump from the back of my RSM 250 that wasn't shocking me before. It's connected to my Saga ATO but if I leave the float plugged in and only unplug the pump I get no shocks. Must be the pump. :confused1:

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  13. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

Float switches can be the cause

14. Bendor

Bendor

But it only shocks me when the pump is plugged in. Does not shock me when float switch is plugged in (and pump is not)?

15. dallasg

Need both to complete circuit
    Which ATO?

16. Bendor

Bendor

Saga

17. dallasg

Level controller?

18. Bendor

Bendor

Checked the box. Yes. Professional, LV-4006C level controller.

19. Munky82

Munky82

I got a bit of a shock from a float switch once.. Just after i switched off the return and the water completely covered the switch.

20. Bendor

Bendor

Seems less now. I was just reading the thread about shock and using a stainless steel or titanium rod connected to wire connected to earth point on plug only and plugged in. SS hooked over edge of tank to touch water. Earths the the tank and all in all results Ina more pleasant tank experience. ( unless you're into that that sort of thing)

Stray voltage in your tank: You should be worried - Marine Aquariums South Africa

21. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

I've always grounded my tanks & use stainless steel 316L welding rod which was connected to earth. Remember salt creep also creates stray voltage, especially if there's salt creep all over your lights, you shit big bricks if a pump or any electronic device shorts in your tank. I've had some scary moments which is why I ground my tanks. Hope you solve your problem;)

Recent Posts