Getting ripped off

Discussion in 'New Members' started by mcjie, 14 Feb 2013.

1. mcjie

mcjie

hi all :)

i am new to this forum and find this site very interesting. it has taught me a lot of things. i recently started a marine tank, nothing fancy, just a 100l tank. i started realizing that a few of my local aquariums are ripping me off. The sales person told me to buy this and that and i ended up spending R1900. i was stupid enough not to do any research before starting on this hobby. the sales person told me to cycle for 3 days and kept hurrying me to buy fishes and corals. 3 of my clown fish and some corals ended dead. i was fortunate enough to find this site and hope you people will help me out. after all the money i have spent, i have found out that the sales person did not sell me a wave maker, no t5 lights, no sump, no protein skimmer. he wants to charge me another R2300 for the above items. sigh. so far i have a 100l glass tank, crushed coral, 2 submersible filters, a heater and a pump. He also sold me a normal blue lights and a aqua glo. i would like to reduce cost so i want to ask if it is ok to run this tank and let it cycle for 2weeks before adding live rocks, is it ok to run this tank without a sump if i buy a hang on protein skimmer and how important are my t5 lights because i have these aqua glo that is 18000k and is it ok to use my 2 submersible filters as wave makers. i really want to reduce the cost as i am still a student.

Thankyou for reading this and all your help will be appreciated:thumbup:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dorry

Dorry dorry

:welcometomasa1:

4. Gesiggie

Gesiggie Challenge accepted

Hi mcjie, Welcome to MASA.

Sorry to hear that you started out on the wrong foot, but plenty of info here to guide you in the right direction :) Just be specific in your questions, and you will get all the help you need.
    It is preferable that you add your live rock to your system whilst cycling, else you run the risk of having another cycle when adding the rock, thereby just extending your waiting period.

A wavemaker is not needed, you just need flow pumps in your display to aid in circulation and gas exchange.

Could you maybe elaborate on what type of tank you have? Is it only a tank with no means of filtration? Or does it have a small built in sump down one side of the tank?

If it is just a glass box, then a HOB (hang on back) skimmer can be used. And yes, a skimmer is one of your most important pieces of equipment.

Whereabouts in Johannesburg are you? There is a reef meeting on the 23rd of Feb, and that would be a great place to go to meet people, and get some tips, info, assistance, and most important, to get moral support :)
    JHB February meeting 23 February 2013 - Marine Aquariums South Africa

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Hello and welcome mcjie

I hope you learned at least one thing. That is not to go back to that shop, ever.

The tank you got, does it have an overflow for a sump setup?

The cycle is the liverock that must cycle, actually, it is the dead things inside the liverock that must decompose. That is what cause an ammonia spike.

The 18000 tube is OK, what is the K rating on the other tube?

your current internal filters would provide enough flow for the cycle, but not whe you got fish and corals. A 3000L/h SunSun powerhead is about R170. Maybe a little bit too strong.

6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

7. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

masahello

8. the fish

the fish

masahello

9. Rids

Rids

hi there
    welcome
    remember this . it is better to introduce corals slowly and pest free .i suggest getting frags on plugs instead of getting corals on rock . in this way less suprizes and less expense . also dont rush it and stick to your budget . hope this helps u
    good luck ;)

10. Trevs

Trevs

I wanna know which store you went to????

11. riyadh

riyadh

Hmm, seems to me considering my bad experience with an it store in joburg that for some reason it is all about the money. Welcome to the forum, ask lots of questions do lots of research

12. Omlette

Omlette

Agree:whistling:

13. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

You can't give the name of the store on an open forum, if you want to know which store it is send a pm.

Recent Posts