Comp: getting rid of gha

Reaction score
So when I first started a tank I was told I could use tap water to start up.

As you all can guess what happened is gha all over. I have had two tanks already and I will document my progress. So first tank was an Aquaria Magic wave 102 which started leaking. as you will see in the photo the gha started on the back and n the rocks and back panel
picture.php

I then got a new tank and filled up again with tap water and dosed prime. Hmmm big mistake.

picture.php

Cyano any one?
picture.php

Corals started suffering for some reason as above. So the way I went about to fix the problem and I am amost complety done fixing it. Started dosing NOPOX from red sea, took all the sponges out of the canister filter and added just live rock and phos guard. Brought a ro machine and started weekly water changes 10% and started adding bacteria once a week. I have seen a vast improvement and it is slowly coming right as you can see in the photo below.
picture.php

Slightly still there but looks like it is dying and looking better every week.

@Reaper you cant really treat the tap water, prime does not work, there are a lot of people who have tried it, I would suggest doing water changes and large ones with mixed ro water. it will benefit you a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was also told prime and it did jack ....... except take chlorine out. get ro asap and start with some huge water changes. its taken me about 6 months so far to try sort it out and I am still battling with some of it. but getting there.

My new tank and previous tank all ran from tap water, certain areas have better quality water than others. I have no algae blooms, I only add Prime to take out chlorine...

Just an idea, try keeping your powerheads near the top and aiming them down a little to take oxygenated water from the surface to the bottom. It is making a difference in my tank.

Back
Top Bottom