Comp: getting rid of gha

Discussion in 'Competitions' started by Chris Makings, 5 Nov 2014.

1. Chris Makings

Chris Makings

So when I first started a tank I was told I could use tap water to start up.

As you all can guess what happened is gha all over. I have had two tanks already and I will document my progress. So first tank was an Aquaria Magic wave 102 which started leaking. as you will see in the photo the gha started on the back and n the rocks and back panel[​IMG]

I then got a new tank and filled up again with tap water and dosed prime. Hmmm big mistake.

[​IMG]

Cyano any one?
    [​IMG]

Corals started suffering for some reason as above. So the way I went about to fix the problem and I am amost complety done fixing it. Started dosing NOPOX from red sea, took all the sponges out of the canister filter and added just live rock and phos guard. Brought a ro machine and started weekly water changes 10% and started adding bacteria once a week. I have seen a vast improvement and it is slowly coming right as you can see in the photo below.[​IMG]

Slightly still there but looks like it is dying and looking better every week.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Reaper

Reaper

Tagging along. I also used tap water, but treated it from the beginning. Tank is only a week old tomorrow, so no live stock yet, but will see if it causes algae growth.

4. Chris Makings

Chris Makings Thread Starter

@Reaper you cant really treat the tap water, prime does not work, there are a lot of people who have tried it, I would suggest doing water changes and large ones with mixed ro water. it will benefit you a lot.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  5. Reaper

Reaper

Seems like I will have to make a plan for RO - I also have some algae growth in the tank, although I started the fresh water with Prime...

6. riaanwium

riaanwium

@Reaper, Get some RO from the Lfs. Aquatic vision in Brackenfell has.

7. Chris Makings

Chris Makings Thread Starter

I was also told prime and it did jack ....... except take chlorine out. get ro asap and start with some huge water changes. its taken me about 6 months so far to try sort it out and I am still battling with some of it. but getting there.

8. Jason

Jason

My new tank and previous tank all ran from tap water, certain areas have better quality water than others. I have no algae blooms, I only add Prime to take out chlorine...

9. stevengrant

stevengrant

Just an idea, try keeping your powerheads near the top and aiming them down a little to take oxygenated water from the surface to the bottom. It is making a difference in my tank.

10. Reaper

Reaper

Recent Posts