getting depressed

Discussion in 'The Sump' started by crispin, 26 Aug 2009.

1. crispin

crispin

Reef wise this has been a hellishly tough year for me. I really enjoyed my tank through 2008 and with moving to Norway I always knew it was going to be tough to keep a tank here. But with all my equipment on the seas and taking longer than expected to arrive it was a long hard wait. I managed with the help of warr to buy a tank for knut ove in JHB and as I had crated and packed my 1.8m and taught a team of guys how to do it, I organised for knut-ove’s tank to come with my container. That delayed things and complicated it, but both tanks arrived in good condition and its been an agonising wait.

In the mean time knutove gave me a small 60l nano to look after. This has been the hardest tank I have ever had to keep. With no equipment at all as mines was still expected and the closest RO water over 290km away (one way) the nano has been a challenge to keep. Ive managed well though and other than being under stocked its doing well. Even when I did get my RO unit, it took me 5 days to find a solution to attaché the thing to the mains!

On Monday I went to Oslo to see about prices on LR and some fire Goby’s for the nano, plus salt to start mine up when I am ready in around 3 weeks. Simply put ive had the wind taken out my sails and I seriously doubt that I can keep a tank in Norway. LR for bulk orders goes for 165kr\kg (R180\kg) at its cheapest and as I want around 100kg through the system its just not affordable when I am not earning a salary. LS is a killer too, R220 per head for Euphillia (R1000 for a frag smaller than the one hennie gave me in SA) a piece of lr with 8 zoa’s on it was being sold for kr400! Its just hellishly expensive

If I don’t find a solution to the LS prices (R1900 per yellow tang!) I will have to sell the tankL

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Jaak

Jaak

Eish, that's hectic Crispin. I feel your pain...

4. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Eish Crispin! That is now REALLY sorry to hear, mate. I really hope that something can happen that you feel better, or someone can "miraculously" appear there in Norway, and help you out.....
    I really feel for you....

Good luck mate....

5. robvdv

robvdv

Yowzers, Crispin. Maybe scale down and do a smaller tank better.

6. danimal

danimal

man that sucks so much. sorry dude:(

7. DragonReef

DragonReef

Besides the YT, those prices seem to be the same as we pay here in SA ?

Start small and build it up over time dude :)

8. Bob the (reef)builder

Bob the (reef)builder

Crispin, that is rough.

Don't sell the tank. Maybe keep the nano, and wait until you are earning Kronas before going bigger again. Then start breeding coral on the farm, it sounds like you could make good cash from corals over there.

Cheers

Rob.

9. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

What about setting up a local cold-water tank ???

Hennie

10. seank

seank

Can I sent you some pumps/ equipment etc????- free of charge. Just tell me how.

11. Pugsly

Pugsly

shoo and we worried about prices here!?!?!?!?!
    Good luck man! Hope you can come right - I would die if I could not have a tank anymore!

We feel your pain dude!

12. Broder

Broder Mudshark

Just think ahead to the middle of winter, when it's cold and dark outside.... you'll come home to a nice bright tropical picture of a tank. I promise you, that will have made all of the expense worthwhile. Psychologists are far more expensive.

13. Pugsly

Pugsly

Good valid point you have going there mudshark

14. magman

magman

Try and maybe think about opening your own LFS there, look at the advantages of the negatives, if the fish are so expensive there, use that as an oppurtunity to market there. Imagine doing your hobby full time. Also your own frag farm, and sell the frags. Breed clowns?

Try ebay, when I was in the UK, people would sell their full setups cheap, maybe do that, buy the set ups, rob what you want and sell the rest.

Also flights are so cheap, you could probably fly to a London LFS, buy fish there and fly back in the same afternoon, cheaper than a train ticket.

Heads up, and we here for you.

15. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

R1900 for a Yellow Tang shu that is expensive...

16. FransSny

FransSny

Hell crispin...those prices are insane (going to show the wife that the hobby is actually cheap in sa:)).

Good luck there man, hope you get something sorted

17. crispin

crispin Thread Starter

thanks for the ideas guys, ive run most of the numbers on most of the ideas and unfortuantly i fall off the logg slightly. I have had incredible support from Lanzo at Dory as i have thought about doping a net based marine supply here in norway and he has given me great contacts and advice. its impressive what such a younge fella knows about the ins and outs of a marine company, he's not just a nice (ugly, perhaps) guy:)

starting small is an option (BOB I WANT SOME OF YOUR NANNO'S!:) but in truth thats not the answer for me. a 10cm frag of monti is just over R500 so even stocking a nano is a tough one. I have the 60l and am keeping my hand in with that. Besides its larger fish and mature collonies of LPS that get my heart racing so that 1.8m NEEEDS to get fulled.

I have two options really, one is to directly import LS myself. I can land LR for around R90\kg if i take 300kg or so. Thats taking over R130\kg off the LFS cheapest prices so its definatley an option. BUT i have to take larger shipments for the collectors to be intrested, thus i need to ahve holding facilities and i wouyld need to bring in LS at the same time both corals and fish to sweeten the deal. The killer for me is that I am 300km from nearest airport and thus simply too far to coordinate same day pick up and acclimatise. (bare in mind i only want a small 800l of salty water in my house not run an aquarium!)

so my best chance is to coordinate with LFS in Oslo, I do the order i want and they order on the back of my deliver, thus bulking the two orders to make them bigger and they hold the stock in their tanks for me untill i am ready, but they get the options of great prices.

now for the derailer and thats Cities permits. Id HAVE to start a company in Norway, get hammered 40% tax and have to do all the docs in norwegian which is a language i dont understand well enough tio get the papers done in. My non reefer would help but i dont think she can spare that much time.

There is a silly little boy in me who is truley f'ed off at the one LFS here who simply said, 'pay my price or dont start the tank i dont care. i have the manopoly' that gest to me as it stops others from enjoying the facination of reef keeping. so i may well convert my basement (160m2 of free space!) into a fish room and supply LFS around me. But then again im back to starting companies:( mind you that way i could frag farm and captivley breed achillies for fun:)

Its just that its so hard here. as in seriously COMPLICATED to get anything or do anything. I am tank managing 5 tanks in Lillehammer simply because they have NO idea on what they are doing and are killing the tanks:( Its been 9 months without that tank and i really am gaging to get it up and going. I'll find a sollution i just cant see it crealy yet, but i will :)

18. crispin

crispin Thread Starter

possibly, although i have a small tankl and they are nothing but trouble :) i want to upscale not down scale LOL.

Maybe i will need to pick your brain on coral prop ina few years if you are willing?

19. crispin

crispin Thread Starter

Time i have, its monery i dont. Besides the tank will sit near the TV when i watch rugga, i dont want a little box next to my 72" screen:)

20. crispin

crispin Thread Starter

all very true:) except that psychologists have far more comfy couches:)

21. Boendoe

Boendoe

Dude come back to SA. We will start a campaign- BCB (Bring crispin Back)

Recent Posts