Getting confused

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Fishcrazy, 19 Nov 2014.

1. Fishcrazy

Fishcrazy

Hi guys

I'm really getting confused by all the information I read and all the forums.

Basically I would like to know should I do a weekly 10% or bi-weekly 10% or monthly 25% water change? I've got 205L tank.

Secondly, I've got a phosphate/carbon reactor in my sump. How much media do I need? And how often must the media be replaced. Some people say every second week for carbon, other say every month, someone else told me phosphate must be replaced every 6 months, but then I read every month. I'm going to take the carbon out of my power head, because it is a hassle getting to it and removing it. It is allot easier removing and replacing media from the reactor in the sump.

Thank you for the help!:m03:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Toolboysa

Toolboysa Moderator

If your doing a water change for nutrient export it will depend on your system, bioload & fish ect and how quickly your nutrients rise. So for eg if you decide your going to run your tanks NO3 between 5ppm & 8ppm and after a week you have nutrients are sitting at 20ppm then you need to do weekly water changes and probably bigger than 10%, but say for example after a week your NO3 is still sitting between 5ppm and 8ppm then dont worry until you test next week. BUT please keep in mind you will need to be checking your Kh & Ca & Mg as these deplete on a daily basis and once youve worked out your consumption you can dose accordingly. Their are other ways on controlling nutrients but as newbie might just be better to start off this way

Ive always run my carbon for a month, no issues for me. I know some guys yellow tangs sometime develop LLE, but not always and not sure if it has happened with other tangs other than the yellows

Phosphate media you test the out flow from your reactor to see if its finished. So when its full of fresh media you should get 0ppm then as it "gets used up" the PO4 will start climbing indicating its time to replace.

As for the amount I think all the reputable products say on the packaging how much product to use per litre

Hope that helps

TaahirS likes this.
  4. TaahirS

TaahirS MASA Contributor

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  5. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

from previous posts and advice i have been given summed into 1

6. Fishcrazy

Fishcrazy Thread Starter

Okay, so to sum up!

If I understand correctly, before I do a water change do all the parameter testing. If all okay, wait till following week. Currently I'm testing for PH, PO4, NO3, Ca, NH3 and salinity. I don't have a Kh and Mg test kit. I was told they aren't so important to test now. I assume I must rather go and buy them. And then lastly make sure that the filtration and media is in good order.

Some people also say only siphon the substrate once a month.

7. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

what i have summed up over the years is the following

with fish we are most concerted about pH, this is the crucial param that will affect fish in a healthy system, assuming NH4 etc are 0

with corals i have found that testing and keeping ALK stable and in a a range all other params will be in acceptable levels, this assumes no ionic imbalance etc which means testing every now and then Ca and Mg.

so when doing a water change, following my previous suggestions all should be well...

while i understand new reefers read and try and learn, ultimately use logic when going foreward and see what works for you. in the beginning one needs a reef strategy which will help with things, see my R.E.E.F articles here.

eg. if you using a salt with an ALK of 12, dont try and run your ULNS system at 7 as logically its a bad idea...

Recent Posts