getting clowns to host somwhere else

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Charl_Stanhope, 20 Jun 2011.

1. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

Hey guys.

How do you get clown fish to host somewhere else. I've had them for a year before adding coral. Now six or so months later and the still prefer a stupid powerhead.I don't really wanna move the powerhead as it took me forever to get the powerhead in the perfect spot. I've kinda accepted the fact that they would find a different host but I wouldn't mind trying something that could change their opinion.lol. I've got them for 18 months,got them as babies so they probably 19 months old.haha. They healthy,they only fish,they eat well but they stay small.they like 4 to 5 cm long.maybe I've got dwarf clowns.haha. They a breeding pair.I feed them all kinds of food.why they staying so small or do they take time to reach adulthood?

Last edited: 20 Jun 2011
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

what corals do you have that you think they would host in?

4. AfricaOffroad

AfricaOffroad

I catch the clown, smeer it all over with a fresh pink prawn than then squish it into my anemone.

Iit hosts very well in the anemone after that.
    :p

5. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope Thread Starter

I've got some leathers and a torch.don't want them to host in torch coz they will probably end up killing it. I'm gonna get some other coral for them to host in.maybe a frogspawn or something. Can't get a nennie.lights won't cut it. Will see how it goes. But when I get em coral I wanna try and get em away from the stupid powerhead.

6. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

Mine love to host in a pinchushion

[​IMG]

7. Tony

Tony

Mine host in the xenia. The only way to stop them from hosting with the powerhead is to replace the powerhead with another one. The shape and sound may confuse them and drive them elsewhere. Bear in mind though that there is no guarantee that a clown will host with an anemone as you have seen they will host in just about anything and stare at an empty anemone

8. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

They will do as much damage to a frogspawn as they would to a torch.
    I feel your pain, i got a maroon clown that wont even look at a large rose bubble tip.

9. Charl_Stanhope

I'm gonna try maybe some xenia or maybe a pincusion.love the look of that clown hosting in a pincushion.maybe block off the powerhead with some eggcrating or something to make it look different. Then I will remove it when they have found something different.my other powerhead.lol. Or ill swop those 2 clowns for another pair.they were my first two fish so don't think thatll happen.

10. dominodeluxe

dominodeluxe

Hi each anemone has its own host anemone and if you get yourself the host for your specific clown the problem will be solved.If its a occelaris which it looks like the following anemones apply:
    Magnificent Sea Anemone (Heteractis magnifica)
    Giant Carpet Sea Anemone (Stichodactyla gigantea), Merten's Carpet Sea Anemone (S. mertensii)
    May adapt to Bubble Tip Anemone (Entacmaea quadricolor) in aquariums.

If you want you can go to Clownfish - Host Anemone Matches by Clownfish - Clownfish and their Host Anemones they have a whole page showing which anemone goes with which clownfish

11. dominodeluxe

dominodeluxe

The growth depends on the size of the tank the bigger the tank the larger they'll grow the smaller the tank they won't grow past a certain length.

12. jacoc

jacoc

...... What lights do you run.? .

13. FransSny

FransSny

Charl I wouldnt be too worried , I've also had clowns who refused to host in anything.

Obviously you are aware the TL series tanks are not suitable for nennies so thats out of the question.

If I were you I would look at a pincussion ...clowns seem to dig them

14. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Agreed - consider yourself lucky that they are prepared to stay in something that they will not affect negatively.

You could try to make a "mop" for them to live in - any soft, thick, synthetic substance that looks like a conventional mop head might work...

Hennie

15. Charl_Stanhope

thanks for the advice guys,. Trust me,I am happy that I they not doing any harm to my corals. I'll never get a neni as I know my tank and lights are not suitable for them and Im against killing anything. Im gonna try the pincushion and if that doesnt work I will just leave them where they are happy and it looks like they are. They have been surviving for 18months where they are now so I should actually consider myself lucky that they have survived so long. thqanks again for all the input guys. Will let you know if they decide to host in/on something else

Recent Posts