getting a convict to eat?

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by cswhitehead, 1 Sep 2011.

1. cswhitehead

cswhitehead

howzit guys

i caught a convict tang and put him in my tank but i cant get him to eat he picks at the rocks but wont touch nori, flakes, bloodworm or pacific krill what else can i try?
    i even placed the nori on the rock he picks at most and he still ignores it he will pick at the rock right next to the nori but wont even look at it. i have had him since monday and i dont want him to starve in my tank.
    any tips on how to get him to take food or any other food i can try?
    thanks
    Chris

Last edited by a moderator: 1 Sep 2011
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tremayn

Tremayn

Try mysis. All my tangs eat that with no problem. In quarantine I got them eating pellets and flakes, was not difficult really. My tangs never liked noori. You have to give them time to get them eating it

4. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Try soaking the food in garlic.
    What other fish do you have in the tank?

5. mattie

mattie

Hi Chris,
    They eat mainly vegetable food. Try feeding baby marrow, broccoli, lettuce or dried seaweed. You can also try feeding meaty foods like mysis and brine shrimp.

6. cswhitehead

cswhitehead Thread Starter

thanks guys. i only have two chromis and the convict in this tank for now, my other tank has a regal and a yellow tang and they eat anything i throw in.
    But some small 'strings' of cheato came through the return into the display and the convict ate that so i suppose i could just carry on feeding him that then?

7. cswhitehead

how would i do this?

8. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

you get commercially available garlic extracts.
    Alternatively (ive never done this but know of a few guys who have), you can crush some fresh garlic and mix it with a bit of salt water.

9. AfricaOffroad

AfricaOffroad

This is typical convict behavior. They are dime a dozen in the rockpools but difficult fish to get feeding in a tank.
    Only way is to have sufficient algae growth to sustain him for the first few weeks until he realized what you are feeding is in fact edible.

10. AfricaOffroad

AfricaOffroad

I have a theory, though unproven , that if you put them in a glass tank with just say pipes to hide in, then feed pellets and flakes, it might eat quicker. Once there is live rock they look to this as a food source, instead of what you are feeding.

magman likes this.
  11. Mastazee

Mastazee

Has anyone used entice? worked for me a couple of years back

12. danimal

danimal

interesting. i am also battling to get a convict to eat, although i hvae had him a month and he seems healthy enough.

the garlic trick: i've used it before (but for different reasons - it may be an old wive's tale, but someone told me that if you soak food in fresh crushed garlic it can help with whitespot. the fish sweat it out, and since whitespot live in the pores of fish (or whatever their equivalent is) the garlic irritates the whitespot and it dies.

i don't know how true it is, but my powederblue had WS at one stage, did the garlic thing and he was fine a few days later.

will give it a bash with the convict

13. cswhitehead

i have algae in the tank its still a new tank(10 weeks or so) so there is algae on the back glass he does pick on the back glass but dont know if he gets anything off.
    thanks for all the responses guys

Recent Posts