Get yourselves a battery powered air pump!

Reaction score
If anyone has been threatening to get a battery powered air pump and hasn't done so, I strongly suggest you do. Northwold had no power for 10 hours today, I'm quite sure I would have had a dead tank when I got home from work.

Hi gaboon - I got 4 (only 2 connected at the moment, though). I also have my 12v return pump connected to a car battery... This is to keep circulation/filtration going in my 2 metre tank, while the power is out.

help me - how do i raise my water temp if say it drops to 21C during a 10hr power outage

i currently use a blanket to maintain temps. wnat if i do not have a ups - what can i do?

Hi gaboon - I got 4 (only 2 connected at the moment, though). I also have my 12v return pump connected to a car battery... This is to keep circulation/filtration going in my 2 metre tank, while the power is out.

hi jacques,

would it be possible to buy a inverter and connect it to battery(i've got a deep cycle battery for my trolling motor 105amp)
I could then just connect my pumps to the inverter?? never done this, any advice?

Hi Shan - do you have a Cadac braai? Heat some tank water up in a pot and VERY slowly pour into the tank... Alternatively, cook some tap water, and put it in a metal container (that seals well), and place this container in the tank - drifting - that the heat is dispersed in the tank's water.

Hi Andreas - ys -theoretically this will work. BUT - I think that this depends on the size of the inverter, and also on the type of power-heads/pumps that you have. I have found that my "normal" 220v power-heads (no-name) that I use for my return pump, did not work too well when I connected to my inverter/battery. Therefore the use of a 12V boating bilge pump (1375 litres per hour) connected directly to my 12V car battery, with an intelligent charger that keeps the car battery charged....

thanks jacquesb - i knew about the ice blocks in a bag but was not sure about floating the hot water

nic - i got mine in durbs at an LFS while on holiday when i collected my zoas - i know dorrypets - a sponsor here on masa - has some at a good price

got myself 3 pumps,but no batteries :p

Jacques - so explain to me how you switch over from normal electricity?does your bilge pump run 24/7?

i'm sure i've read a thread a while back that explains how to switch to another source when the power goes out. anyone remember?

Jacques - so explain to me how you switch over from normal electricity?does your bilge pump run 24/7?

i'm sure i've read a thread a while back that explains how to switch to another source when the power goes out. anyone remember?

Hi Andreas - I just run my bilge pump 24/7, as a second sump return. I do sometimes notice the battery running down more than what the charger can charge the battery. I then disconnect the pump for a while that the charger can "catch up" the charging.... BUT Generally, this works well....

i was gonna buy,but only had R20.00 in my wallet,so had to make a choice,cigarretes or the batteries,ended up buying the cigs :lol:
must get some batteries today....

you lucky!you would most probably have commited suicide but jumping out of your building if something had gone wrong with your tank??and that for some cigs??

Back
Top Bottom