gerrard

Reaction score
Hi to all members

After twenty five years of fish keeping, but never having the guts I decided to convert into the unknown world of marines.

I am still working through all the forums and the mountains of information before I will be asking questions.

In short I am looking at starting a small reef tank or buying an existing tank(any sellers...?). The ultemate goal is to have a big reef tank that will be viewed from both sides. The idea is to see how the different systems work and then hopefully apply my newly found knowlledge(with help from experts) in the design of my new system. I am in the fortunate position that I will be building a house next year and will be able to do a lot of designing around the tank needs.

A Big plus is that my wife is also very keen.:thumbup:

hi Gerrard, welcome to MASA, bigger tanks are easier if more expensive to maintain, the larger volume of water forgives some of the n00bie mistakes, so if you want a large system, do it now rather than spend lots of dosh and have to upgrade when you see all the pretty fishies you can't have in your little tank;)

00020121.gif
to MASA Gerrard

Take a look through the "for sale" forum and see if there's anything for you. Happy learning and enjoy!

Good to have your wife on your side - maybe she won't be that upset when you come home one day with that new big shiny skimmer that costs the same as a months groceries...I hope :p

Welcome to MASA gerrard!!

Have a look under the For Sale forum to see if anyone is selling tank that you could purchase. Keep on asking questions and keep us in the loop for your bigger tanks' plans. And pics pics pics...

A very WARM WELCOME to MASA Gerrard! Glad that you found and joined us! Thanks!

Also VERY GLAD that you are indeed doing your homework BEFORE you purchase anything..... A very good way to start off.....

Perhaps you should consider a tank that you can "Transfer" to the new house you're building. Believe me - once you're hooked on marines - you'r HOOKED. It becomes a lifestyle.... not a hobby anymore....

I have 2 tanks..... Believe me - at some stage one is not enough anymore... ;) LOL!

If you do indeed decide to go small - you will most likely find yourself wanting to upgrade 6 months down the line, in any case....

Welcome Gerrard.

Welcome Gerrard,and your wife:)

Great to know you are takibg the step into marines, its certainly a great ride:)

if i were you i would def look at as large a tank as possible, eco what Mike said, its certainly alot more forgving than smaller tanks, and saves you hunkering after a big tank due to the limitations of a smaller system.

as most guys say there is a great for sales section for second hand tanks ( i picked up a great buy on my tank there) but if you are building around the house perhaps a new tank is a better bet for you.

there are some really good threads in here on guys building own tanks....gaboon has a great thread, sean koekamoer, and ben loyd are all building good sized tanks around what they have in mind.

surf threw a few threads and see what your goals are, that will lead you in the right directions:)

A very WARM WELCOME to MASA Gerrard! Glad that you found and joined us! Thanks!

Also VERY GLAD that you are indeed doing your homework BEFORE you purchase anything..... A very good way to start off.....

Perhaps you should consider a tank that you can "Transfer" to the new house you're building. Believe me - once you're hooked on marines - you'r HOOKED. It becomes a lifestyle.... not a hobby anymore....

I have 2 tanks..... Believe me - at some stage one is not enough anymore... ;) LOL!

If you do indeed decide to go small - you will most likely find yourself wanting to upgrade 6 months down the line, in any case....

I wish I could fit the tank I am planning inside my flat. Unfortunattely I will have to sleep outside to be able to do that (mmm... maby not a bad idea). I understand that a bigger tank is a bit easier but desided to start on a very basic small one to first try and understand the actual working of a marine eco-system. Hopefully I will not pay to many school fees and that I will understand the working of the hardware( what is a nice to have and what is must have's etc....). Having that in mind design the new tank with the right hardware and finding the right space too install the hardware.

Please keep sending the advice it helps to put the "BIG" picture together

gerrard (seems like there are too many r in that name:)), i had a very interesting conversation with mike bushie (an other member on here) where he has been threw a few smaller tanks, and in the end has spend more than I have on my one larger (than his tanks). Having said that, to get a smaller tank, learn and refine your understanding is a good idea.

i seem to remeber a nice complete cube on the for sales section, have you had a look there?

Back
Top Bottom