Geoffrey's 4ft

Hey Jacie I woudn't worry about the G and the SPS. I gave those to him to save from my tank when I had all that nonsense..

They have grown so much!! So I think he is doing great.. :thumbup:

jaqcuesb... I am running a 150w MH above the sps (specifically the acro and the miliopora) they seem to enjoy the wattage. besides the MH i run 3 x54w t5's and 2x 24w T5's

flow is currently @ 14300 l/h and the tank w/sump is 400l so not a bad turnover. my sps' and nennie get most of the flow.

thanks to lappies the sps corals add a nice look to the tank. awesome corals...

I do add kalkwasser. 2 - 3 tsp for each 25l top up drum (im starting to think the Coraline is taking most of it)

Thanks for the compliments on the scaping. i spent a bit of time trying to ge the natural look. for me personally i think a reef tank is all about the scaping (for looks and the feel for the fish.

I have noticed a major relaxation in my fish since i changed my scaping to the current setup. the PB is very happy and the rest of the fish aren't complaining.

The biggest lesson i've learnt out of this hobby is to be patient and leave the tank alone sometimes. I am by no means a pro, but i can tell you that once you are set up and have a routine regime happening, the tank will take care of itself (for the most part) People fiddle too much in their tanks, they add chemicals, adding this, then adding that. If the basics are understood there is not actually much effort into maintaining a good looking reef tank.

Something strange to ponder on:
I have noticed a rapid colouration in my SPS's and noticed my LPS corals are suffering a bit. But funny enough i have GH algae growing on one of my rocks??? this doesn't make sense. maybe one of the gurus can help. Oh and i have fresh phosphate media and carbon runnning. tests show P and N at round the 0 mark

Thanks for the explanation Geoffrey - and YES - the lighting is enough for the SPS....

Is that the same type of lighting that Lappies has/had?

Regarding the algae - the phosphates / nitrates is most likely being released/leached out locally - directly from the rock that the algae is growing from....
Your water won't show any phosphates, because it is directly related to the live rock. A LOT of live rock contains hidden detritus. Which causes these strange phenomena...

Jacie, that is much more light than I had on them in the beginning... I had them under 4 54W T5's and 4 39W T5's. In retrospect I don't think that was enough light, but they did grow nicely until the accident.. Actually a miracle they survived...They were exposed to air for 3 hours plus...

Something strange to ponder on:
I have noticed a rapid colouration in my SPS's and noticed my LPS corals are suffering a bit. But funny enough i have GH algae growing on one of my rocks??? this doesn't make sense. maybe one of the gurus can help. Oh and i have fresh phosphate media and carbon runnning. tests show P and N at round the 0 mark

Regarding the algae - the phosphates / nitrates is most likely being released/leached out locally - directly from the rock that the algae is growing from....
Your water won't show any phosphates, because it is directly related to the live rock. A LOT of live rock contains hidden detritus. Which causes these strange phenomena...
yes i agree here. it would be the immediate rock its growing on. The algae is chowing it before it gets into the system so it doesnt pic up. the algae should finish all of it eventually, but as far as the softies sulking, it could be a bit of warfare going on, when did you change the carbon to the new carbon? it could also be lower nutrients in the water. My softies have lowed their growth since they moved into the 2m, the levels are generally the same except for the much lower phosphates so it could be why. maybe blow your rocks a bit, your softies will love that:thumbup:

your tank is looking awesome by the way!!! i love the natural look of your scaping, i prefer things to look natural but i also like giving it a bit of help, like with a stand etc, so its a trade off i guess

shot for the help. Im gonna remove the rock thats got the GHA and blow it as much as i can. maybe scrub a bit of the algae off too. then we'll see what happens.

Guys just a an answer to the quantity of fish i can safely keep in my aquarium? I currently have 10. thinking of 2 more... TS1 skimmer

In fish only setups, the ratio is 2,5cm of fish per 9 litres of water.
For reef aquariums with sensitive inverts, the ratio is 2,5cm of fish per 18litres of water.
So in your (reef?) tank which is 400litres, you can have 400 / 18 x 2.5cm = 22.2 x 2.5 = 55.5cm of fish. This gives you roughly 10 fish of 5cm (50mm) each ;)
Invertebrates doesn't produce so much waste as fish.

Tobes Thanks. that means 1-2 fish more max for me. Jacques thanks for changing my thread name...

Just remember it is about the length of every individual fish counted together - adult size. It says 2,5cm for 18 lites on a reeftank, but if the fish is 5cm it becomes 36 litres now. This is just a rough guideline. But then again it doesn't mean one can put a 5cm tang in a 12g(48 -60litres) nano and think it will be happy ;)

hello, i missed this

awesome

Back
Top Bottom