Genral Questions And Discussion

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by DeanT, 30 Nov 2011.

1. DeanT

DeanT Dean

Hi all.
    i have been part of the forum for some time , and appreciate all the input that goes into the site.
    while there is a wealth of info , i feel there is too much for someone to take in as a beginner , and this is the reason i have put this hobby off for so long.

i think too much info , makes people scared ( as i was) and very hesitant to start the hobby.

while many people in the fish hobby realize it is a constant drain on the wallet, together with a whole lot of other problems, i must admit , the forum put the fear of god in me to start , especailly since many people make you think this is rocket science.

i have chatted to many people , while picking up quality second hand equipment , and they all seem to say it isnt that difficult.

so i am on my way to starting my tank , but getting all my hardware and stuff now, getting my tank cycled and then will start with livestock next year.

i have taken good warning , not to be in any rush, at all.

i have many questions , that i have picked up from reading various post the forum , and to find final answers is difficult, as i guess everyone and there setup is unique.

so my first question is - dosing or Reactors.
    the reason why i am asking , is that with many large tanks you see on the forum, the setups are with large reactors , co2 bottles and charmers to run , a hundred million different things.

my tank at the moment , is a 1.8m x 70cm x 70 , with 1.5 m sump and eventually this setup will get bigger (obviously).
    i wanted to know do you invest in reactors and stirrers , or go , the dosing route and invest in say a profilux doser .
    i wanted to know the pros and cons of each method.

thanks in advance to anyone who participates.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Evo R

Evo R

Tagging along for the dosing vs. reactor info.

4. finrott

finrott

As a newbie i suggest staying away from CA Reactors but what are you wanting to keep? (This will help you establish your demands)

5. finrott

finrott

k kinda give you an idea about my tank> I am running a 300ltr sps/lps tank. initially i only had a few lps corals, so my alk and ca levels were pretty good with just dosing and water changes. The moment i started adding sps's i started noticing a drop in my levels. This has made me change over to a reactor. Testing is the key to establishing your needs for your aquarium. Big issue i have with reactors for newbie’s is calibrating of your probes and noticing when things aren’t working correctly

6. DeanT

DeanT Thread Starter Dean

with starting out , i would like to start with a FOWLR tank and then slow move to a reef system.
    I would like to invest , in equipment , that i would like to use going forward for quite some time.
    big issue i have noticed with CA reactors is the co2 bottles and costs of it and also space with all the chambers.

7. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

For a Brand new tank?....

neither, your tank is not using major elements (Ca, Alk, Mg)
    Once you have started going towards having a SPS dominated tank or you notice your levels are not being maintained by water changes, do you look at these things.

Each have Pro's and con's.

8. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

will not require any dosing or reactors. Your biggest challenge will be nitrates. Rather spend the money on skimmers and other filtration such as NP pellet reactors

finrott likes this.
  9. DeanT

DeanT Thread Starter Dean

already have purchased a reff oct xp5000int and a RO unit, so on the skimming and water side, i am sorted , like i mentioned earlier , i would like to try and pick up equipment i will need in the long run that will last, all depending on how i go.
    I will see how long it takes me to move over to reef.
    i also want to get the stuff now , before the drain starts on the wallet , once everything is up and running :)

10. finrott

finrott

I would say CA reactor should be last on your mind...Make sure you have decent lighting and some nice quality live rock...

Recent Posts