Genesis

Reaction score
Hey all

I bought a complete running tank from a guy,will empty it today and start from scratch since the guy have a massive GHA outbreak.Will need some help with a few things since i am only doing it for about 5 months.I sold my old tank for this one hopefully bigger and better.

Few questions?
1.Since i want to start the cycling process again do you guys think I can keep some of the existing water from the tank for the cycle process.
2.I want to change the sump and a few things,but what can i do with the liverock in the tank at the moment,because i will be busy for a week or so before it is filled up again,and no one to keep it for me?
3.What can i use to wash the tank properly?

I know you want pics,specs and hardware but will post it when everything is at my home.

Hi Chris, sounds great and congrats on the upgrade. OK a few things..

1. Its the rock, substrate etc that need to cycle not so much the water itself. So yes keep your rock in the tank, with a pump to circulate the water, might even help to do a water change or two.
2. If the rock is full of detritus it might have been the cause of the previous owners GHA. Make sure you blow it clean with a powerhead or turkey baster.
3. Paper towel to clean the tank. I would not use anything else.

Good luck and we looking forward to the pictures.

Thanks

you see the problem with the rock is that my tank will be empty for a week or so,so what must I do with the rock till then.

Thanks

you see the problem with the rock is that my tank will be empty for a week or so,so what must I do with the rock till then.

Get a big dustbin or lugs from a hardware store, the cheap generally R100-R150 put the rock in, add the water and put a pump to circulate the water.
No lights required.

Keep the live rock live, and your substrate, be it sand, coral or whatever. Also try to keep as much of the old water. Then your cycle process will just be so much quicker. But remember, nasties from the old system will come along. If you keep everything alive, the system might not even go into a cycle loop.

Cool so the rock will last till then.

So you are saying i can ditch the old water i just thought i can save some money on salt if i take half of the old water and make the other half fresh mixed water.

can i use any chemicals to clean the tank?

you can use the old water to keep the rock going no prob. I would do a 25% water change after a week or so though and again a week later.

No, no chemicals, just paper towel and elbow grease. :D:D

Sorry kanga i am not that clear today,can I use old water mixed with new water to start my cycling process?

Are you going to move the tank and stuff in it today?

If so, put the live rock in coller boxes with water to cover them. Put any fishes in with the rock, just watch out for rock falls. Do not want to crush anything. Fish will stress a lot less. Put powerheads in cooler box. Close the lid.
Shrimps alone in cooler jugs, each one in another container.
Keep all the water you can.

Keep sand submerged. That is if the tank will then not be to heavy. Else take out half but keep them submerged. Reuse all the water from containers and cooler boxes. With the crap in there, the good bacteria needs something to eat.

Then do a 25% water change on setup, and 1 week later.

Sorry Kanga i am not that clear today,can I use old water mixed with new water to start my cycling process?

Yes, provided the "old" water is fine.

Kanga regarding the old water, i dont think it will be fine bcauase of the GHA outbreak the guy have currently,think it might be full of PO4 AND NO3,WHAT DO YOU THINK.

Any livestock except the rock and sand?

How do i dilute the vinegar,how much water and how much vinegar?

You can use it as is, it will break down into free organic carbon that helps with dinitrification and do some good along the way as well. However I would still use papertowel and a sharp blade, but hey thats just me:peroni:

Cool, then as Kanga said, get a big enough dustbin / tub / lug / container.
Put rock and sand in there, with powerhead to keep stuff moving. Heater and lights not needed, hot enough this time of the year. This is anyway the method LFS use to store their LR.
Then use elbow grease...

Back
Top Bottom