Generators

Reaction score
where can we purchase at a fair price?

Also what size is practical 1kW, 2.5kW ? I know it depends on what you need/want to run but say TV, a coupe of lights, and my tank (heater and pumps).

Is a generator run from outside the house? How do you guys preventthem beign stolen, lock them up or only take them out when needed?

The one thing with generators is the noise, neighbours are not going to love you much, rather go for one of adriaans back up units.

Robin would Adriaan's units handle an extended failure? Say more than 2 days? As you know Bedfordview was without juice for almost a week.

tell the tannie next door she can come keep the meat frozen in your freezer, she'll love you forever and not mind the noise.

The gennie i'm looking at must run my tanks and my fridge and freezer.

I would go for a minimum of 2.5kVA. Ellies make a nice unit. Haven't used it yet but plan on buying one myself. it is much quieter than the normal units.

The little generators that one buys are NOT meant for staying outside. My advice is keep it in the garage, and wheel it outside when you need it. If left outside it will rust etc. I would buy a 2 kVA as a starter for your tank, and keep a jerry can of fuel in the garage, as the tank one these things isn't that big.

The little generators that one buys are NOT meant for staying outside. My advice is keep it in the garage, and wheel it outside when you need it. If left outside it will rust etc. I would buy a 2 kVA as a starter for your tank, and keep a jerry can of fuel in the garage, as the tank one these things isn't that big.

With a 2KVA geni, what all can you run on it?

Basically your return and circulation pumps, 1 heater and your protein skimmer.

On a 2.5KVA I run my return Pump (500W) 4 x Seio M1100 (21W each) My RS2 Skimmer (I can't remember the rating) plus the TV, DVD and DSTV, all this is fed through my UPS to ensure that the power remains stable... Oh and a few energy saver lamps, the trick is not to start everything up at once, so all I have is a few On delay circuits fitted... I start with the highest load (the return pump) and work my way down... I am also in the process of building a UPS system with 10+ hours backup potential so that I can shut the genny off at night and then use it to recharge the unit and run the tanks during the day...

I would have to get two. One to run the essentials on my tank and the other for the Hairdryer, Curling Iron etc...

On a related topic how many of you guy's have looked into Gas Geysers with all the constant power problems we having at the moment.
I'm seriously thinking of going that way.

Never heard of a gas geyser!
But never the less you cant handle cold showers?:)

hi,i just got a generator from cash crusaders(if i am allowed to mention them) for r1050.00,its called sunny and it kept my mh/uplift ,t5s and skimmer on,5l of petrol ran it for about 3 hours.very small and compact and does not disturb the neighbors.cool

Can you make a generator "auto start". Alot of the time I'm not at home and would like the generator to start up automatically and switch off when the electricity is back up. Is this possible, do you get generators like that?

You get gennys like that...

Can you make a generator "auto start". Alot of the time I'm not at home and would like the generator to start up automatically and switch off when the electricity is back up. Is this possible, do you get generators like that?

I have heard of it before. I think you must buy an extra component. Check with Doberman, he is pretty clued up.

Back
Top Bottom