Generalised powerhead placement in reeftanks.

Discussion in 'Pumps and Waterflow' started by aslam, 3 May 2009.

1. aslam

aslam

Hello guy's,I know powerhead placement depends alot on the aquascape you have,that is,place powerhead's where ever you must to avoid deadspot's thus detritus cannot build up and is pushed to the overflow were it is filterred and removed.Now,I have recently seen alot of guy's place powerheads at the top of their tank's just below the waterline on opposite sides of their tank's.Would like to hear your view's.Thank's.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

tagging along

4. mike Bushie

mike Bushie

good question would also like to know the answer

5. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Guys - I am NO expert - but here's my taking - you NEED to have enough water flow in the water tank - that the current on the inside of the tank, is extremely turbulent, and chaotic. The idea is that the water flow is like that of the sea - have an eb tide - a sway - left-and-right, left-and-right - as well as up-and-down, forward and backward......

If you can place your power-heads like this, you would have been able to achieve the perfect absolute.........

W.r.t detritus - this would be good if you can achieve this - but this is NOT the ultimate.......

Think of the sea.....

6. Allen

Allen

How do you move away from Turbulence to more of a swaying motion without having just the normal power heads and not wave makers or timers?

7. jacquesb

Allen - in the sea - you have BOTH - a turbulent, as well as swaying motion. The swaying motion, you achieve with a timer type thing - the turbulance - with a mixture of type of power heads, and a mixture of strength of power heards.... and difference placement of power heads...... ie. power-heads opposing each other - as well as cross-streams of power-heads (ie. power heads blowing a wide distributed stream of water, 90 degrees across the main streams of water.......

8. chikaboo

chikaboo

In the old days with no controllers and wavemakers it was done by putting pumps on at different times from opposite sides of the tank - but can still do it with simple timer units and pumps at different levels in the tank - but then not many people keeping corals - mostly fish only with dead rock

9. jacquesb

Chikaboo - we are trying to simulate the sea.......... therefor we MUST TRY OUR UTMOST BEST to simulate the sea correctly - including the wave, current, and eb-and-tide motion....... Otherwise, we WILL FAIL, bigtime!

10. chikaboo

chikaboo

I agree but without wavemakers(costly) how else can one do this swaying motion?

11. jacquesb

12. Allen

Allen

Sorry I'm steeling aslam's space now,

The reason I'm asking is that, I've been in conflict with my self for a long time now about water flow and currents!
    And could never find a good reference to how the flow/current in my tank must be placed?
    I can't get the flow to go mostly every where and still it looks like I am blowing everything away. It looks like I need rather an equal flow+sway than hectic turbulence
    I have 4 ph in my tank rated at 1000 L/H, one in each corner.(165L Tank)
    Any advice?

13. jacquesb

Allen - you need hectic turbulent flow. So - if you can place the 4 powerheads in opposing corners - then you would have at least half-way, won.

Then - you need 2 reasonably strong power-heads - one each on a side in the tank - BUT - these 2 power-heads should be of either SEIO or SunSun type - with a very wide distrubted water flow - but, they should be on a flip-flop timer - switching the pumps off and on, intermittantly - this will help to give the swaying effect.... inbetween the turbulant/chaotic flow you already have...... I hope you understand....

Allen likes this.
  14. Allen

Allen

Aah Brilliant!! Thanks a MIL!

The 4 ph are SEIO's so I'm glad I at least got something right for a change.:slayer:
    Had a quick look at your thread on the flip-flop timer and its awesome!!:yeahdude:
    You might not know where to get such a thingemajic? I've never seen it in Pretoria.

15. keyaam

keyaam

Take caution with the sunsun pumps as they are not really made to be switched on and off all the time. I have been trying to get the best water movement in my tank and i currently have 4 pumps facing the centre of the tank. I found no dead spots because my scaping is quite open. i am quite happy with the placement of pumps and my corals actually open up much more since then.

16. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I got 2 normal powerheads in my 90L tank, 1800L/h AquaVia. No timers or controllers. Both in the back corners facing each other. I got hectic flow in the middle of the tank, blowing over the back of the rocks to the front. Actualy too hectic, they make small waves that you can hear and suck in some air bubbles. Had to bring the one down a bit and blowing a bit more onto first rock.

Pumps blowing into each other creates a lot more different flow patterns, than pumps pointing different directions. With 2 pumps you most probably will end up with a circular standard always the same flow.

17. aslam

aslam Thread Starter

Guy's,I once reached a point where I had no deadspots.I ran 1 resun waver 15000lts,1 seio m1500(6000lts)1 seio m820(3200lts) 2 seio m620's(2400lts).All this in a standard 4ft tank(around 200lts total water volume)I had only softies,boy did they hate it.How do you reach a balance if you keep lps and softies only.I have realised,every tank has deadspot's,especially if it is a mixed reef.It is probably impossible to hide powerhead's.Siphonning detritus during waterchanges is part of life.

Recent Posts