General maintenance.

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Fishy Steve, 22 Jun 2009.

1. Fishy Steve

Fishy Steve Hiden super user

How often do you guys blast your live rock and what do you blast it with? Also how many of you use a toothbrush or something similar to scrub your rock? Thanks in advance for the replys.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. AndrévN

AndrévN

You can once a month, i do. With one of the circulating pumps in your display, better to get and use a spare.

Scrubbing the rock with a toothbrush is a no no :nono:. You tend to screw up everything. I do use a toothbrush if i need to lift a stubborn peace of green algae, but no scrubbing. I did it though and some other stuff and the rocks turned brown and i cycled the system again. You upset the system by doing this.

Why do you need to scrub with a toothbrush. :whistling:

4. Fishy Steve

Fishy Steve Thread Starter Hiden super user

I dont scrub at the moment. Was just wondering if everyone else does. I'm fighting a battle against gha and when i win i never want it to come back.

5. Boendoe

Boendoe

Yes I only use a toothbrush on the GHA, I don't like it because you scrub off all the new growth with the algae.

Rather look at getting a pump like a Sun Sun (they are good value for money about R 150 for the 3000 liter per hour one) to circulate the water and keep the rocks clean. Like Max said.

6. Fishy Steve

Fishy Steve Thread Starter Hiden super user

I have a total of 12000 liters per hour worth of power heads. Dont want any more. I think i'll get an extra one to use when i need it. Thanks

Recent Posts