General info

Discussion in 'New Members' started by damba, 9 May 2009.

1. damba

damba

Hi all

Thanks to all for the warm welcome. I was not able to say to much about myself and my tank. I have been keeping tropical fish for close to 30 years but first marine tank. Got the tank from someone who could not keep it anymore. It is a standard 3 ft tank with no fancy equipment ie no skimmers etc.

Got the following fish: 1 Domino damsel, 2 blue and yellow damsels, 1 tomato clown, 1 anemone fish,1 percula clown, 1, spotted cardinal,1 Mandarin and 3 tube worms and some live rock. Got 1 anemone that did not survive the move.

The tank was well established so I moved it water and all. The tube worms shed their fans so not sure if they are still alive. I do stay in Randburg and I am glad to see knowledgable people on the forum that stay close to me. Keen to learn more. Tank is very disorganised but will start reorganising all the ornaments in time.:thumbup:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. seank

seank

Welcome Damba, some pics please

4. Jaak

Jaak

Welcome to MASA!!

5. RUAN

RUAN

masahello

6. damba

damba Thread Starter

Unfortunately camera is broken will post as soon as can

7. damba

damba Thread Starter

Can anyone tell me if those tubeworms are dying if they shed the fans

8. crispin

crispin

cool damba. sounds like an OK start, but before pics can you post a full set of water paremeters, or ecrtainly all the aspects you can test for. a Move like that, leading to the loss of a nennie and stressed fan worms (shedding is a sign of stress) means you need to be testing veru often at the mo.

the sooner you can get us a set of pics (especially as there is nothing fancy to help with the water quality.....ie skimmer (essencial in my view, NOT fancy:)) the quicker we can get some constructive ideas and help to you.

have you done any water changes recently? Is so, how (describe the method) and how much (as in % of total water)

9. damba

damba Thread Starter

Water change

Hi

I do not yet have proper testing equipment for water quality. Salt levels is at approx 1023 or 31 ppt. Water temp at 24. I made a 30% water change 1 week ago due to loss of water during move.

10. Tony

Tony

welcome to MASA Damba. Your temp is a little low. Try and get it up to about 26 degrees

11. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Damba welcome i agree with Tony your water temperature is a little low

12. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Damba - I am not sure if I welcomed you yet. BUT, here goes: A VERY WARM WELCOME to MASA!

Can I just comment on 3 things?
    1) you SHOULD NEVER do water changes to topup evaporated water, as you will eschew the salinity paramater COMPLETELY.... always ONLY EVER use RO filtered FRESH water (Reverse Osmosis filtered) to topup any evaporated water....
    2) with a 3 Foot tank, that does not have a skimmer, you SHOULD do water changes VERY REGULARLY, otherwise, you will end up losing your lifestock, due to the accumulation of nutrients
    3) having 8 fish in such a small tank, is also pushing the limit!

Good luck, mate!

Recent Posts