General cost of monthly upkeep

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by EFJ, 5 Dec 2011.

1. EFJ

EFJ MASA Contributor

Hi MASA. I thought for alot of us beginners here on MASA and futre members that we look at what the initial cost of setting up a system costs but we tend not to think of what the monthly cost of running a system is. I think it would be a good idea if the seasoned members would give use beginners what your general cost for monthly upkeep is. Please specify what size system you have and what you have everything running on your system, this way us beginners can compare at what size tanks could fit our budgets at the end of the month. Thanks.:thumbup:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

this is a hard question to answer but will do my best

500L mixed reef, fully stocked

Elec is R200-R300
    Food is about R200
    Additives R300 every 2 months, so R150

but i would say your only real fixed cost is your elec bill
    if you use a good salt and plan well you can cut down alot by doing regular water changes, yes i said water changes :p

4. Annoying

Annoying

I have a 800L system

Starting to go sps with nennies, low fish stocking

Elec: the bussiness pays for the elec bill:p
    Food: about R70 every three months (I make my own frozen fishfood)
    Additives: (Magnesium,calcium,Alkalinity) these I make myself out of calcium chloride,baking soda and epsom salt.Iodide and trace elements so around R70 a month buy in bulk)

5. Mc

Mc

I have got a boyu TL 550 about 140 litres, the initial setup is what really costs alot.
    It costs me at most R250 a month, of course thats not including all the livestock.:biggrin:
    R100 salt
    R100 food
    R50 other eg floss and cleaning sponge.
    I haven't culculated the electricity although I suspect its quite low in summer as I am running leds.

6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

What you have to replace or buy

Salt - 700+ for a bucket. Most make 600L, say 500L system. So you do 50L every weekend so that is 12 water changes. 3 months. Yearly cost 700* 4 R2800, monthly 233.

T5 tubes. from 240 to 360 for good globes. Say 8 tubes. 54W, Avg price of 300* 8 replaced twice is 4800, monthly 400

Additives, whatever you decide to chuck into your system.

Food, about R200 per month

electricity. check your account and compare with your neighbours with similar household setup and number of persons.

So Food, lights and salt, R833. Keeping a list of all money spend over a period (minimum 3 months) should give you an indication. Just never let the non-reefer see that list....

The expensive part is that weekly visit to the LFS. To be able to walk out without holding on to some precious bag.

Helga likes this.
  7. archiecrain

archiecrain

This is the thing.....I think Im at the stage where my tank may not really be costing me money on a monthly basis, elictricity and water aside (both negligable).....its all the things in the LFS that I want, but dont always need that eat the budget up.

So if your diciplined......

Last edited: 5 Dec 2011
  8. Braco

Braco

I haven't actually compared pricing but recently bought a RO Unit..where i have calculated i use to spend R25 per 20 litres..twice a week one RO and one to mix my salt in to do water change..this i calculated at roughly about R2400 for the year. I recently also bought me a 4ltr Petrol Generator which can run for up to 8hrs..now again i cannot run everything off this little Genie...but it does cut some costs back..i must just still do my calculations.:)

9. pXius

pXius

700L Mixed reef with mini frag tank in loop.

Adhesives R100-250 Depending on what I need.
    Salt 30Kg bag. R1200, makes 900L, I do 20% water changes every 2 weeks so thats about 6 water changes equaling R400 a month.
    Electricity is about R350
    Food about R150-R200

Totaling R850 - R1200 depending on what needs to be replaced in that month.

Weekly LFS visits.... Not going to post that here in case the non-reefer checks my browser history.

10. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Making your own RO does make a lot of difference in the monthly costs.
    Roughly, you do about 10% water top up per week. This is dependant on the room temperature, ATS, fans, etc... But 10% is about the average per week.

Plus you do your 10% salt water change a week.

Easy to work out then. 200L system, you need 40L water a week. 20L for RO and 20L for salt. So it is really worthwhile to invest in a RO unit. And then you do not visit the LFS weekly and you do save on other "expenses" as well.

Recent Posts