Genaral information needed complete beginner

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Mavirick, 8 Dec 2013.

1. Mavirick

Mavirick

Hi all firstly allot of really good info on this site thank you all

I am a complete newbie to to marine ive had fresh water for about 2 years now and got hooked

Please be patient with me

For a complete newby what is the best size tank to have for me I have a reasonably open budget so the price is not to much of a problem

Secondly I want a communal tank fish crustaceans and reef

If I should make a shopping list for a setup what will you recommend

Thanks to all in advance
    MAV

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Chris Makings

Chris Makings

HI @Mavirickmasahello

Firstly what Iwould suggest from own personal experince( I have not been in marines for that long yet) firstly get a tank as big as you can that budget would allow. I would say nothing less than 100lt, the bigger you go the more stable parameters would be. ANd once you get hooked you will always be looking to go bigger

Also get the biggest skimmer you can for your tank. Good quality live rock or Dead rock( if you use dead rock you would need to dose a bacteria to kick start your cycle)

ARe you going to have a sump?

Most inportant is purchase an RO unit, I have learnt that never use tap water in your tank.

If you go to the beginners section in the forum there is plenty of information there.

ANd dont forget photo of your build

Last edited: 8 Dec 2013
  4. Mavirick

Mavirick Thread Starter

Chris thank you so much

First of all im looking at 2.1m x 800 x 750 that I have the means of getting here is a pic of it that is not me in the pic haha

The tank has a internal filtration system hoever I want to run a proper sump under the tank

What do you think of the tank size is it too big I do have the financial means to stock and get the correct products I need to make a success out of this tank the tank size will also fit perfectly in my house so no need to stress out about quality space

The Ro unit whats a good unit to buy
    What size skimmer wavemaker chiller
    Sump and pump thats where im getting stuck

Thanks again MAV

uploadfromtaptalk1386486427294.jpg

5. King_Triton

King_Triton

Hi Mav,

Firstly welcome to MASA and the hobby. For the skimmer it's advisable to get one rated for twice the volume as your setup. For wavemakers the best is tunze or vortech, as u said budget isn't a problem as these are expensive. For a r/o unit u can speak to @TheWaterboy. He can supply you with this. Also for your sump go as big as you can. You will have more space for equipment and it will add to your total water volume.

Enjoy the New addiction. And keep the pics coming when u start setting up. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  6. Mavirick

Mavirick Thread Starter

@KING
    thanks for the info

In shopping list form what should I get first as I said the price isnt the problem ill have to purchace over a period of time but I have the means of getting hopefully the best I can

As for my previous post is that tank to big for a beginner should I go for somerhing smaller or should I go big or go home as a matter of speaking

As for pics ill have a complete build diary on MASA is there a specific place to pist a build log

Thanks
    Mav

7. King_Triton

King_Triton

Well personally is finance isn't an issue I would go with as big as I can. We always wanna go bigger once we start. I started 1 and half years ago with a standard 4ft which I converted. I am currently getting stuff for my new build which will be 1.3m x 1m x 550cm (h). The 4ft was a massive learning curve for me and I have the guys on this site to thank for most of my learning.

So I would say go for it. And any questions along the way, you will get help.from the many experienced guys here on MASA.

For a thread on New tank, there is a separate section on the forum for that. Hope this helps.

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

A nice size tank for a beginner is 250L to 500L
    Reason is that equipment is reasonably priced, also there are equipment in the for sale section that will work for these size setups.

Smaller than 200L and stability becomes an issue to maintain. Bigger than 500L and the equipment needed is becoming a lot and expensive. Getting into the hobby on a temporary first setup that you run for 6 months to a year, realizing what you want. Learning how to keep the parameters stable. Is not a bad idea.

You can start with a much bigger tank. But you asked what size is the best for a beginner.
    I started with a 90L display and 60L sump. Learning curve is steeper. But can be done.

9. Mavirick

Mavirick Thread Starter

@King thanx for the info will do @RIAAN what is the average tank size for a 500L dimensions and on that size what would the correct sump size be

As far as I understand the larger the tank the more stable your levels will be is this correct
    Thanx
    Mav

10. King_Triton

King_Triton

Riaan is correct in saying that. My current tank is 270L total volume with sump. In all the learning that occurred getting the correct hardware sorted from a bad decision I made was a lot easier than on a bigger tank for example. Also things like water changes would be easier on a smaller system and not throw you off course thinking there is a ton of work to be done now.

11. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

a 1.5m tank, depending on width and depth is about 500L.

Just do not get one of those cabinets with the solid plank upright in the middle. They limit sump options a lot.

On a 1.5m tank, you can easily start of with a 58W T5 light unit.

Did you take a look in the secondhand section?

12. Mavirick

Mavirick Thread Starter

@king @RIAAN @chris could you please post a picture or 2 of your setups and display tanks

ill have a look at the second hand section tonight on the pc when I get home

We have power surges here in honeyhills where I stay if my tank is completely set up fish and crustaceans coral ect how long can a livestock be without power and is there a way to prevent this like a ups or genny

In about a year I wanna buy a house im renting at the moment how do I transport a completely set up tank without stressing or damageing any live stock

Thanx
    Mav

13. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Then do not go over 500L max.
    250L is then the ideal.
    1.2M tank, by about 500 by 500.

Yes, you can use a Geni. Check the powercuts section out.

My system is way bigger than what you should start with. But some of the rock comes from my first 90L system. So yes, you can cary over some stuff.
    PlayStation 3 Rebooted - Marine Aquariums South Africa

Last edited: 8 Dec 2013
  14. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Even a 500L would be OK. Can still move it in a day.

But do not go over that if you plan to move within a year.

15. Chris Makings

Chris Makings

@Mavirick you cna have alook at my signature my tank is in there, I have not updtated it as I have had some issue which I have been dealing with. my setup up does not included a sump as there is no room for it but I am upgrading in a little bit when I by my house next year. my tank has changed alot as I have added alot more live rock and base rock.

I agree with riaan that dont go too big if you going to move soon.

16. Dian6430

Dian6430

Hey man. Welcome to masa. I have to agree not to big if you planning on moving again. Im busy getting my stuff together for a 100x65x70 tank. For this tank size, 450L without sump, im getting a bubble magnus curve 7 rated for 800L, return pump is a 6500L/h pump, a wp25 wavemaker, a lot of LR in the tank and sump, bio cubes in the bomb method, filter sock where inlet into sump is and a refugium as well. This is what i have planned also because ill have to maybe move it end of next year. But enjoy the hobby its really great, like you said you have the money so do it right from the beginning. Dont be afraid to ask questions.

17. Brendan6

Brendan6

From my extremely limited experience, very glad that my first tank is a 130 litre cube. I have had it for a few months and already my next project is being planned for a years time. I want to learn as much as I can before starting my 4ft tank.

18. Mavirick

Mavirick Thread Starter

@Brandon what was the dimentions of the tank

19. Brendan6

Brendan6

510Lx570Wx670H(mm)

Recent Posts