Gazs tank is down

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by scubaninja, 9 Mar 2009.

1. scubaninja

scubaninja

Hi guys, just got an sms from Gaz19. A wire became exposed today while he was at school and has been shocking everything all day. The temp went as far as 29 degrees and basically all of his coral is dead or dying, all of his fish are alright though. He needs to know did the coral die from the copper been exposed to the tank by the electricity, or was it the high temperature. He also needs to know what he must do right away to stop anything else from dying and try and save whats on its way out, i will have to relay everything to him as he has no internet so asking me questions wont really help, if you have ideas and what they help please post them ASAP and i will try and relay them to him in one go. thanks guys

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

A temp of 29 is "ok" but what was the temp before, if it went from 25 - 29 in an hour then that could be a problem.

The only thing I would suggest is a water change and test for copper.

My2c.

4. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Shame man! Anyone close by to take over some of his corals/clams to help poor Gaz out? This oke has/had some AWESOME AWESOME specimens!

Where's Mekaeel! Perhaps DragonReef's tank? Or Alan's?

The MOST LIKELY cause, would be the quick change in temperature..... I would think. As the tank is not earthed - the electricity in the water should not have such a quick effect on the lifestock.

Stu - aren't you perhaps able to help the poor oke out?

Shame man - it will be a REAL BIG shame if he loses those awesome clams, and corals!

5. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

i think it could be the high temp - do you know what corals he got? If it's softies, maybe they're sulking? I would say get the temp right slowly, fix the wire and do a water change. Not sure if the copper can act so quickly :p

6. tinusb

tinusb

Definately the high temperature... the little exposure to the copper wire can't do damage for the amount of time exposed. What about a possible water change with a bit of colder water? Not freezing, but let's say about 23 or 24 degrees... slowely decreasing tank temperature then.

7. scubaninja

scubaninja Thread Starter

of course! i've offered my help, waiting on his reply
    he says he wants to do a WC but he's got no salt at the mo so he's moving everything he can over to his sisters tank. Tank went from 26 to 29.8. I personally think its the temp but i wasnt sure what the copper could do. It was the whole day though so thats a far bit of electrolysis happening. He has SPS, Softies, LPS and clams:(

8. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

As stated 29 is not the problem depends how fast it got there. I would like to know how the wire got exposed, if it was through a short circuit then the Pvc/rubber around the cable has melted and this is toxic if under water. How and why did the temp climb, was the exposed wire raising the temp or did it trip the beakers and the chiller went down??
    If he needs space its not a problem, have a few empty tanks.

9. scubaninja

Gaz says:No clue wat happend with the wire, its as if it got cut on the glass or something and is now exposed to the water. If it did melt, which it cud have, how do i sort it out? It didnt trip the mains and i dnt hav a chiller. Not going to schooll tomorrow, guna go down to n0rthlands n get m0re salt n do water changes. Btw the wire was from a pump so didnt hav an earth. The coral i have m0ved is doing beta. Saved 1 sps, the rest died b4 i got home

Brains n frog spawn on there way out. Clams lo0kin a bit beta and z0as are slowly opening. Im skimming wet, double am0unt of carbon and airst0nes to help lower NH4

i've posted directly from mxit so please excuse his sms speak;)

Last edited by a moderator: 9 Mar 2009
  10. scubaninja

and the fact that its green, i tried to fix that too but it refuses to change colour

11. lIghty

lIghty

Just spoke to him, nothing more to be done, has lost most corals, moved what he could into his sisters tank.

12. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

EISH - this is a SAD SAD SAD DAY! Was he able to save all his clams at least?

13. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

ouch bud unfortunatley this is something that comes with the territory.. condolences

14. scubaninja

All of his clams are ok, a few other corals are ok, some has been moved to another tank and seem to be doing alright, but now the death toll is at about 20 pieces of SPS, a brain and a couple of others, he will be doing a WC tomorrow when he gets some salt. He says thanks for all your advice:thumbup:

15. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Sorry to hear Gaz. It's not advisable to make a salt mix and do a water change immediately, you need to 'age' the water at least 24hrs to check salinity etc. Why don't you rather go fetch NSW? You're at the sea. It will be much better in my opinion.

16. scubaninja

he doesnt have access to a vehicle, he's a youngster!!;) but will tell him of the aging thing, not sure if he knows of it or not

17. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Isn't there someone who can help him out? I feel that a waterchange with NSW will be very good for the corals and inverts, especially now.

18. scubaninja

yeah lighty and i both offered, but he was probably not able to do so. but i agree tobes, NSW is the way to go

19. Warr7207

Warr7207

Sorry for your loss :(

Hope you able to save the rest. In emergency use the new water, don't worry about a 0.001 SG difference here or there.

20. gaz19

gaz19

using my phone so spelling might be kuk but nt as kuk as the tank looks. Done a total of 100l w/change 2day. Didnt have time to let the water age. The amonia levels went sky high and water was cloudy. All sps except a birdsnest mangaged to make it. Managed to save my bubble coral and 2 brains, a piece of favia and a pincushion. Al the clams are alive, 1 lo0ks to be struggling. All fish are fine. Skimmer went crazy all night. Was a very sad day 4 me but im already planning a new sump, and going to re aqua scape. Going to come back better than before (i hope). When my internet is working il post pics of my fowlr and clams now.

Thanks for all the advice guys! And big thanks to scubs n lighty for trying to help me when i needed it m0st! Thanks guys

21. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Glad to hear you could save some of your live stock :), and sorry again for the losses :(

See if you can organise a few litres NSW - it will do wonders ;)

Recent Posts