Gate valve

Reaction score
Also Irrigation companies nor companies that does JoJo tanks. But they are only operational after lockdown

Reaction score
In my humble opinion restricting the flow from your overflows can lead to your tank overflowing. I would not restrict your overflow with a gate valve, rather allow it to flow via gravity. The flow from your overflows will only be as fast as your return pump is pumping water into your tank.

Reaction score
In my humble opinion restricting the flow from your overflows can lead to your tank overflowing. I would not restrict your overflow with a gate valve, rather allow it to flow via gravity. The flow from your overflows will only be as fast as your return pump is pumping water into your tank.
The design of the Herbie overflow calls for a gate valve and a emergence drain. Are you familiar with the Herbie overflow. From what I hear you just have a pipe from the tank? How do you silence that?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yes I am familiar with the Herbie Overflow Design. There is no emergency valve, rather a wet overflow stand pipe and a submerged main overflow pipe that is regulated by a gate valve or ball valve to create a syphon. As the main overflow is submerged it is silent, if your wet emergency stand pipe kicks in, which happens, then it will make a noise. It works for some people. My preference is a Durso and a dry overflow stand pipe as then I'm not restricting my flow like with the Herbie method while still enjoying the safety of an emergency overflow. I can ramp up my return pump or reduce as I please. I cant do this with the Herbie as once its set using your gate valve, you don't want to fiddle with your flow on your return pump.

Reaction score
I agree with flappy. I've run a bean animal type set up using Durso style fittings on the pipes and it works really well to silence the gurgling sounds. Also, I found that having the wet overflow pipe at a slightly wider diameter stops it pulling air down the pipe which is part of what causes the gurgling sound. If I remember correctly, you are aiming for around 1/3 the volume of flow through the pipe as any more begins to draw bubbles into the pipe causing noise. Also, more elbows cause more turbulent flow, and the louder the water travelling through the pipes will be. I had valves on my big tank using this system, but they actually served no real purpose as the system self-regulated the flow perfectly on its own.

Reaction score
Still looking for a PVC gate valve guys. Sure we must have somewhere in sa?

Reaction score
Still looking for a PVC gate valve guys. Sure we must have somewhere in sa?
Same problem here, I’ve ordered one from the USA! May require some additional plumbing because it’s imperial size.

Reaction score
They are available in SA, just really expensive. I know Effast has them for sale.
Effast definately do not have Gate Valves. I have checked the website and phones them just now. They do not have gate valves. I am still searching...

Last edited:
Top Bottom