Garth Warncke's new reef

Discussion in 'Full Tank Photo's' started by gawarncke, 25 Mar 2009.

1. gawarncke

gawarncke

A few before photos of my 1 month old reef!

Wait for the after photos. Give me a month or two!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Welcome to MASA gawarncke! :)
    Looking forward to the pics.

4. keyaam

keyaam

Welcome to Masa

Wheres the pics?

5. gawarncke

gawarncke Thread Starter

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. keyaam

keyaam

Looking good. Some engine room pics?

7. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

Welcome to MASA, enjoy your stay!!!

There will no doubt be some comments on the number of Nennies you have and the age of your tank.... I urge you to take these in the spirit of an open forum, the advice given will no doubt come from very experienced reefers and they will only be trying to help you in the hobby !

Can you give us some details on the sump, lighting and flow parameters?

8. shiks

shiks

WELCOME.......nice looking setup...esp like the green thing

9. lIghty

lIghty

Engine Room! Engine Room! Engine Room!

10. gawarncke

gawarncke Thread Starter

Hi there all.

Just to get some of the questions out the way. I bought two tanks actually. one stocked and one brand new (just the tank and stand). (I moved the stocked one which had been running for a year)with the rock and corals and annenimies into the new tank. I used the same water and all the same filtration media. Bio balls etc etc to try and keep some of the bacteria.

I have added some live rock about 40kgs, 2 nennies and some fish yesterday after the tank had been running at my house for a month. I have kept lots of fresh water fish for many years and only just got into the marine side recently. Hoever I can't get enough of it. Its like a addictive drug.

But I am needing lots of advice from all you guys out there please. Be it critisim or just friendly advice. I really don't mind. U can be as harsh as needs be cause its the only way I will learn.

I bought all the upgraded equipment from steven at exotic aquariums and i asked him to stock me with the best.
    From the boxes i have hear and the model no.s on the hardware this is some of the equipment.

Will post some pics of the engine aswell.

Phosban reactor 150
    Aqua Excel Protein Skimmer
    Standard Heater
    4 x t5 Lights, roughly 1.8m in length. 80w 1 is a flourencent globe.
    Hailea Cooler
    Uv Sterilizer
    Lifetech AP4860 Pump to pump water from sump back into tank.
    I have a pumps in the tank for current for the nennies.

Had my water checked yesterday 25/03/09
    Everything was absolutely perfect however my po4 levels were slightly high. I added some phosphate remover to bring those down a bit.

Any advice will be much appreciated. Thanks alot and what a great site this is.

Oh and the engine room is slightly not organised in terms of wires and that. But im working on it. here is some pics

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Pete

Pete

:wave2::welcometomasa2:

Looking good so far, just some advice on the sump and that would be to get rid of the ceramic rings as they will start causeing problems in the future (nitrat factory)

12. Pete

Pete

Have just read the thread properly and saw you have nennies in the system,, the system is not mature enough for them, would keep an eye on them...

13. gawarncke

gawarncke Thread Starter

Pete, thanks alot. appreciate it.

If i must replace the ceramic rings. What do i replace them with and will it go into the same compartments in the sump.

14. Neil H

Hi Garth,

great to hear you are enjoying the hobby and yes it is extremely addictive !

As far as advice is concerned, here are some pointers from my experience.

Sump:
    I would urge you to look into running a deep sand bed (many threads in the forum on this).... it will become the lungs of your system..... on top of this you could run a macro algae for nutrient export.

One option would be a complete redesign of the sump the other would be to install a remote DSB/ macor algae / refugium to the left of your skimmer... i.e. a seperate tank.

Also while the ceramic rings are thought to be bad, removing them all at once would be worse..... first decide on the dsb option then remove them slowly... i.e. a handfull a week !

Nennies .....
    I assure you that this part of your system will conjure up some controversy .... through no fault of your own, but this is a hot topic on the forums today....

Nennies in my opinion require extremely high lighting in general.... at least 150watt MH ..... I have a green bubble tip, which is in general regarded as one of the least light demanding nennie species, but still requires decent lighting (i have a combination of 150 watt metal halides and t5's).... So i would suggest that in order to keep any of these nennies happy and alive long term you have to upgrade your lightint to 250w MH at a minimum.

Secondly regarding nennie ....
    Although some people keep more than one nennie in a tank successfully .... usually not more that 2 and if more then they are in huge tanks..... there is a well recognized school of thought which argues that nennies will take to chemical warefare in order to protect their living space from other nennies and from other corals.... I see your leather coral in the centre does not look too happy with the nennie next to it .... that is more than likely chemical warefare happening ...... Ultimately and over a long period, sometimes years the one nennie will kill the others through chemical warefare.

We are often shown pics of multiple nennies in one tank, but often these are the same nennie .... i.e. one nennie that has been propogated .... if they are genetically the same there is no warefare .... note genetically the same.... same species is not genetically the same, they have to come from the same parent nennie to co-exist happily long term.

so in conclusion while they do look stunning at the moment, in my opinion you have to upgrade the lighting .... and probhably swop / sell some of them.

I know this sounds harsh, but it is the best advice i can give...

as a quick question, are your pumps nennie proofed? nennie soup will wipe out your system !!

15. Pete

Pete

Well said there Neil H

16. gawarncke

gawarncke Thread Starter

Nennie Proof?

A new term to me. How would i know or check if they are. And I really appreciate that advice. You see when you go to these pet shops they couldn't care what they sell you and they don't give you this advice. All they want is to sell the nennies. I will consider trying to swop or take out some of them. However the tank is 2 metres in length. If i wore to keep the ones i have now as far away from each other as possible. Will that help until I can swop them out. Only put them in yesterday and I don't want to cause them to much stress. Coming back to the sump. U refrered to adding an additional section to the left of the skimmer. U say i need to put in a deep sand bed to form the lungs for the tank. What type of sand is needed and how much do i put into that section. Like 80% or 60%.

The lighting. I have the 4 x 80w t5 of which one is florecent. Do i add the lighting you said on top of the current lighting or how do i do it?

I don't want to sound to arrogant but i have alot of money put aside for this hobby. +- 100k still left. So guys please be open as to what i need so i can rectify it so they can all live in harmony. Another thing is by looking at whats in my tank already have you guys got some suggestions as to what i can add in the long run for colour and for making it look good but at the same time keeping the fish and current live stock happy.

Any suggestions?

Once again, thanks for the information so far. Its starting to get so interesting!:thumbup:

17. Neil H

ok .... let me try answer some of your questions here !

Nennie proof.... all pumps are pretty much nennie traps.... the nennie gets upset, floats around the tank.... the pump pulls the nennie towards it.... sucks it in and now you have a noxious concoction that will kell you tank !!! if you go to builders warehouse or similar, buy yourself some netting with fine holes in it... builders has awesome white stuff in the garden section.... cut a strip of this, and secure it around the inlet of your pumps witha cable tie..... now the nennie cannot get to the propellor of the pump .....i.e. no nennie soup.... it will reduce the efficiency of your pumps though... will take a pic of mine tonight to show you

what pumps are you running ......??
    Getting a couple of Seio's M2600 would be awesome for a 2m tank or perhaps a couple of tunze ??

the remote tank i talked about....

if you could fit a tank into that space on the left, then that would be an option.... but for long term success, maybe a redesign of the sump is called for ???? if you want this for the long run then that is the best option ......

have the overflow run into the skimmer compartment .... this compartment overflows into a big dbs compartment .... the dsb should be 15-17cm deep, you can use arogonite if you want but it is expensive and reggies playsand works just as well (any toy store has this) ....

maybe have a remote refugium?

Maybe build an RO chamber into the side of the sump to help with the auto top up???

last compartment is the return pump etc

nennies.... boet in my opinion the best this to do is to either try take them back or when you have enough posts on the forum, put them up for sale here ...... keep your fav and maybe one more ..... long term i dont see them all surviving.

Lights..... how wide it the tank?
    maybe run 3x250watt MH pendants
    or 2 X 400w MH pendants for some STUNNGING lighting ..... you could run actinics as the T5's for the blue colour!

Colour for the tank..... a tank that big, criminal not to go SPS

but some stunnning softies around.... kenyan trees and pincushions, mushrooms and zoa's come in dozens of colour....
    LPS.... frogspawn, hammer corals, brain corals....
    SPS... too many to mention
    Fish ..... with 2m ..... tangs .... yellow, purple, regal

with that size tank... many options !!!

werner5 likes this.
  18. Warr7207

Warr7207

Two of those anemones look very sick.

Also be careful, you have 3 or maybe 4 different species in your tank. The chemical warfare could get ugly

19. Neil H

thanks Pete, now click on that rep button ;);)

20. Warr7207

Warr7207

The anemone is a carpet species, one of the most aggressive, it will eat fish, if they wonder into it.

With the sort of budget you are talking about, upgrading the lights shouldn't be a prob.

Colour wise, fish will make a huge difference, but wait a while longer before adding

PS: welcome:)

21. seank

seank

:lol:

I did, oh and btw, if this was meant in a sarcastic way.....:3: :fuk2:

Recent Posts