Garlic in an anemone's diet

Discussion in 'Anemone's' started by Stressed Eric, 17 Sep 2009.

1. Stressed Eric

Stressed Eric

Hi brenda :) before I start with the questions, could i just give a big thankyou for the time and dedication you give to this board. I'm sure you've helped prevent many a disaster with these beautiful animals :)

On the subject of additives for nennie's, I think it's generally accepted that trace amounts of garlic in fish diets aid in digestion, acceptance of food and general wellbeing. Would this apply to anemone's and if so, what quantities are considered safe and are there any dangers to this ?

Last edited: 17 Sep 2009
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Interesting curveball-question, Stressed Eric.

Tagging along!

4. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

also tagging

5. crispin

crispin

i wouldnt say its accepted that garlic has any benifit although many say they feel it does. its been debated about fish alot with little evidence that its that benificial so i would be very intrested to see if it has benifit to a nennie, even in trace amounts.

tagging on an interesting though

6. Achilles

Achilles

7. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Does garlic grow in the ocean ?

8. chikaboo

chikaboo

Its like asking if certain multivitamin ingredients are indiginous to South Africa? Some people just take multivits and eat certain foods because it improves ones health - I think the question is more of "is it beneficial to feed nennies garlic as it seems to help other living things with their immune system"

9. Anemone

Anemone

Thank you and you are welcome Eric! I really enjoy being here, and I do hope that it is beneficial.
    The topic of garlic has been a debate for some time now. There have been excellent results from its use in fish. To my knowledge there has not been any studies completed on the use of garlic with anemones. I know of very few cases where people have occasionally soaked foods in garlic and served to healthy anemones. In these few cases there was no change noted. In my opinion, this is not enough for me to recommend its use.
    Meaty food soaked in Selcon has been widely used with success for recovering unhealthy anemones. To my knowledge there has not been any scientific studies completed on the use of Selcon with anemones. However, there have been impressive results when it has been used, and I do recommend its use.
    If it were me, I would not use the garlic.

10. Achilles

Achilles

garlic doesnt grow in the ocean but , our fish are not in the ocean, and we have to find means to keep them healthy , in the ocean they can visit cleaning stations , have a huge volume to parasite ratio etc, our aquariums can only attempt to simulate the ocean , we dont have open systems with massive dilution, so we need to be inventive to keep our animals healthy and garlic as has vitamin C has proved to be our way of keeping the immune system in fish strong and healthy. If our species wasnt inventive we wouldnt have discovered many things such as vaccines,antibiotics etc so please dont dispute garlic's usefulness in certain situations

11. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Firstly, we are discussing the suitability of garlic as a food/additive for ANEMONES, not fish.

Secondly, even if we were talking about fish, some of us are doing everything we can to create conditions as close to their natural environment as possible, such as keeping them at natural sea-water salinity and temperature, not over-crowding our tanks, keeping only suitable species together, and feeding them a well-balanced natural diet - this way they live their natural 10 to 25+ years which they would have lived on the reefs (if they were very, very lucky), without us having to "find" unnatural/artificial ways to keep them healthy :whistling:.

Hennie

12. Achilles

Achilles

hehe Hennie, Firstly if you read my postreply you would see that i mentioned garlic may not be suitable for certain invertebrates but i was just making the point that is is hugely beneficial in other area's of treatment even if it is not found in the ocean.

Secondly i have kept fish that are still with me after 15 plus years very healthy with fresh crushed garlic added to their diet , just keeping fish in an glass box which is a simulated slice of the ocean is "unnatural/artificial" in itself just as feeding pellets or preserved foods to them is but we all do it because it is necessary to keep them healthy in this artificial enviroment we have created for them.

Just because garlic isnt naturally found in the ocean doesnt make it unsuitable for use in our aquariums in fact i would even hazard a guess that certain of the active ingredients found in garlic may well be found in certain Sea algae and invertebrates consumed by fish that our fish dont get in their artificial " enviroment ;)

I do agree that garlic is still experimental in treatment of certain fish diseases but it is widely known to be used to treat helminth and sea lice infestations on marine fish of course as with all treatments one has to be careful about how you use garlic

13. Anemone

Anemone

:nono:

14. Achilles

Achilles

:whistling:

Recent Posts