Gareth's 200L DIY

Discussion in 'Medium Tanks' started by Gareth0508, 28 Jun 2013.

1. Gareth0508

Gareth0508

Howsit Guys,

This is going to be my first Marine Tank. I've had plenty freshwater tanks over the years and finally been converted to Marine.

It all started with my Inlaw's tank (about 1000L) which I helped stock by diving almost every weekend! SO the bug has bitten and have taken the plunge!

Being the DIY guy that I am, a love for woodwork and self satisfaction from doing something myself, I decided to tackle this task starting from the bottom up.

I was given an old 200L tank with a wooden stand and decided to revamp it.
    I bought new glass and rebuilt the tank increasing its height to 500mm. Its current size is: 910mm x 450mm x 500mm. Measuring in at about 200L.

I stripped the canopy and stand and decided to re-build the whole bottom section. I opted to go with Pine as there was a budget that I had to keep within. But after about 4 coats of stainer and 5 coats of varnish, I am satisfied with the outcome. I added 2 swinging doors with frosted glass panes and solid rounded legs and handles. 32mm holes have been drilled into the back of the Canopy and Stand for plumbing, wiring and cooling fans which will come at a later stage. I will post all the pics over the weekend of the build and the final tank setup.

Now this leaves me pondering on my sump setup. Initially I was going to go with a cannister filter and Juwel in-tank skimmer but after much research and speaking to fellow reefers I have decided to go with a sump.

I don't have much space to work with under the DT so have tried to keep it as compact and effective as possible. I'm thinking of going with a 3 compartment sump.
    1-Skimmer 2-DSB 3-Return. Have a look at the attached drawing and let me know what your thoughts are and if I should make any adjustments.

[​IMG]

All criticism and advice welcome! I'm not rushing this, taking my time and doing it right!
    Gareth

Ashh likes this.
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. shaunn

shaunn

imo i would take out he dsb and ether use bio cubes or np pellets as i see ur dsb is to small to run ur size tank successfully

4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

imo I would move the power sockets on the left up higher, increase the sump size so that you do have a proper DSB to run your size tank successfully
    Wasted about 250 to 300mm?

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

would also increase the second sump divider to be 290mm high. So that the water level above DSB is deeper to be able to utilize that as a refugium. Same space, 2 jobs.

Gareth0508 likes this.
  6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

what skimmer do you have?
    The space between skimmer cup and the underside of the stand?
    Can you remove the cup?
    If needed, can you raise the skimmer on a little stand if the water level is too deep?
    Your sump skimmer compartment is 300mm deep. Most new skimmers outlets are at 250mm. Just confirm that first

7. Gareth0508

Gareth0508 Thread Starter

Sorry guys, just to clarify the sump size 600mm length x 400mm high x 350mm wide
    So the DSB surface area is 260mm x 350mm with a depth of 160mm sand.

I will increase the second divider which should aid in 3rd chamber water capacity for the return.

I have not bought a skimmer yet. I was told to get a TS1 but believe its old technology?
    The other route is a bubblemaster I think it is? Basically wanting something at least 50% bigger than required but not overkill.

I can also increase the length of the sump to max 800mm and build a separate compartment outside for electrics.

Last edited: 28 Jun 2013
  8. shaunn

shaunn

DSb's take a long time to establish them selfs aprox 6 moths to a year i would still go with NP pellets or Bio cubes i am jsut talking fro experience with both

9. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I see you are from Durban. You should be able to seed your DSB using sand from a clean unpolluted beach. That would speed up the process to start it up quicker.

Bio-cubes is another option. a lot of guys swears by it. It does become effective in a very short time compared to a DSB. But sand is cheap, bio-cubes you need to buy. At least the cubes do not need a reactor like NP-pellets, so at least there you save some money. After all, your decision. I'm running a DSB plus a remote DSB and I am happy with the results. My system is a softy dominated system. If you want to go SPS and aim for an ultra low-nutrient system then bio-cubes would be better.

Do your research and decide.

10. Gareth0508

Thanks Guys, much appreciated. For the the first 6 months I'd like to go FOWLR until the tank is running smoothly and gradually start adding softies. Ive seen plenty Zoanthids when diving and was hoping to frag and grow in my tank. I'm not aiming for any hard coral at all. Well not in this tank.

With regards to the Skimmer this is the one I'm aiming for:
    Bubble Magus Curve 5 Skimmer - R1,795.00 : Jungle Aquatics, Petshop Superstore and Retail Outlet

Same price as the TS1 but better capacity. Anyone have any experience with these?

I will look more into the DSB vs Bio balls and make a decision. But for now Im going to redraw my plans maximising my sump as much as possible.

Last edited: 28 Jun 2013
  11. the fish

the fish

lol Bio Cubes.. not balls. big difference in the two lol..
    the Bubble Magus skimmers are awesome little skimmers. they really pack a punch and does a wonderful job. also very silent, can almost not here it when it is running. you will not make a mistake buying that skimmer:thumbup:

12. Gareth0508

See this is why I came to the forum! Ha ha, still so much to learn!

Just got back from Northlands and their TS1 skimmer is the same price as the Bubble Magus! Definitely going with the Magus then!

I don't wanna go budget on the return pump either but looking at the prices I've found a Resun King 3 return pump 2400l/h. Will this flow be sufficient? Ill also be adding a power head and leaning toward a Resun internal filter which will add to the flow. Good or bad idea?

13. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

would rather go for a DC3000 pump.

14. Gareth0508

Update on tank build

Howsit guys. Internet had capped over the weekend so I'm posting my pics now.

The glass for the tank.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    All sealed and ready to dry!
    [​IMG]

The canopy and stand that I got had been lying around for a few years.
    This is what the canopy looked like before.
    [​IMG]
    And the stand before I got started
    [​IMG]

After lots of paint stripper, 5 coats of stainer and varnish and plenty of sanding I got the result I was looking for.
    [​IMG]

I rebuilt the whole lower part of the stand
    [​IMG]
    stained and ready for last bits of finishing
    [​IMG]

And this is where I am now. Ready for the next steps!
    [​IMG]

Will post pics later on my sump design revisions.
    Cheers!

15. the fish

the fish

@Gareth0508 go uncapped interwebs.. would probably work you out a lot cheaper that having capped anyway

16. the fish

the fish

setup looks good btw. :thumbup:

17. Gareth0508

I would go uncapped but I do a lot of web work (Uploading/downloading) for my Design Agency and if you uncapped the speed is pathetic!

8ta 10 gig mobile internet getting download speeds of just over 1mb a sec!

18. Gareth0508

Thanks! Still got a lot to do. Have to take out one side of the tank to get drilled! (Believe it or not this was initially going to be a freshwater tank for my misses!)

Can't believe I almost waisted my time going freshwater! Trying to figure out the best way for the overflow. Don't want to rely on a siphon overflow.

19. the fish

the fish

ya dont go syphon. well the box overflow is very popular. also can go coast 2 coast overflow. a lot more surface skimming but mostly requires 2 holes for that one. box overflow on the other hand takes up space in the DT so you have a bit less space to scape on. so it depends all in what you want at the end of the day i suppose.

20. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Nope
    they will fail at some point. Rather get the tank drilled with proper overflow box.

21. Gareth0508

Thanks Guys,

With regards to the overflow box, I have 2 ideas in mind:
    [​IMG]

Option 1 will take up some internal space and Option 2 I'll build a separate overflow box.
    Which method works better and is there a minimum/maximum size it should be?

Recent Posts