Galaxy Corals

JB

Reeferboy
Reaction score
Good day folks.

I bought a beautiful, healthy galaxy on saturday and put the bugger far away from any other coral, got decent flow, medium in fact.And refreshed my carbon(rowa).
Now what i need to know is, this coral after acclimating him for about 45 mins, Looks healthy but not opening up as much as it should, does it take a while for them to get used to the tank conditions which are fine except that my calcium is a bit high on 480/490.

What length are the tentacles supposed to reach when the lights are on?

Yes, they will take a while to adjust, anything up to a week. Expect tentacles up to 20cm.

Polyps extend by a few mm, sweeper tenracles by about 20cm! It does seem that any tentacle can become (is) a sweeper tentacle. Here's a pic of mine, with sweepers not fully extended:

IMG_0014-1.jpg

Hi Irie thanks for that. I stand corrected. I have a few Galaxy's and have never seen sweepers. I never see them at night. Do they sweep during the day?

They sweep 24/7 in my system. My tank is heavily stocked with coral (yes, i have an addiction), so the galaxea senses proximity of potential space and food competitors all the time. I have kept a 25cm border around it, as this is the maximum legth that i have observed sweepers.

whenever the sweepers are not extended, all I have to do is put my hand in the water and out they come!

What are you feeding? Anything special for the corals?

Nope, no target feeding, just feed my fish three times per week and home made coral food once per week at night.

Guys, the leather is not as red as it looks on the pic. The pic was taken under an old 10k halide. The leather has a slight red tinge to it, accentuated by the yellowness of the globe.
I feed my fish half a black mussel 3 times per week.

GalaxyfragSep07002.gif

I hope nobody minds the Hijack but I just saw a thread on galaxys, they are so stunning and I have my space planned, the pic is of a frag ( yes a teenie one ) can anyone tell me how it grows, I'm going hi tec on the lingo now.. on the bottom right of the frag is the star thingie, which I assume is part of the skeleton, now, if this is empty as seen in the pic, i assume again that the Galaxy has died in that area. So, must you cut it away for the galaxy to grow there again?

Should I attach this frag to LR or just leave on its own.

Muz

Back
Top Bottom