Fw Dsb

Reaction score
I know someone is going to say who cares :pP but...

Would a DSB work on a fresh water tank?

Can’t see why it shouldn’t have the same filtration principals. Free water tanks don’t usally have sumps so the dsb would probably be in the main tank, which means no “diggers” aloud.

Agree with Milli, dont see why it shouldn't work.

I have asked this question as well before, and from what I gathered yes it will work but remember in a SW tank you skim out most of the nutrients that would normally get trapped in the DSB.
If you do go ahead and do it keep us updated, would be keen to give it a bash.

Copper,

Yes, it does. I have had a FW DSB in a mixed tank for over a year. Only thing though, as soon as you go planted aquarium, then remove the DSB as the plants need Nitrates.

Copper,

Yes, it does. I have had a FW DSB in a mixed tank for over a year. Only thing though, as soon as you go planted aquarium, then remove the DSB as the plants need Nitrates.

Galibore wat did you for the DSB?

I paid about R350 for a standard 3ft aquarium at the LFS. About R50 for two pieces of 4mm glass for a baffle to seperate return pump chamber from DSB. And about R30 for a tube of silicone.

I bought two 30KG bags of play sand for about R20 each.

And Violla, I DIY'ed.

I paid about R350 for a standard 3ft aquarium at the LFS. About R50 for two pieces of 4mm glass for a baffle to seperate return pump chamber from DSB. And about R30 for a tube of silicone.

I bought two 30KG bags of play sand for about R20 each.

And Violla, I DIY'ed.

Very interesting, ow long did you cycle it for?

The setup has been running for over a year when I added the DSB, so it didn't really. Back then I had no idea that something like a cycle existed.

When I learned a bit more about the role of bacteria in the aquarium, that's when I added the DSB. One thing I would have done differently, is that I would have added another compartment for heater and carbon reactor.

Then I converted into a planted setup and I removed all carbon and the DSB and changed to a cannister filter.

Filter floss in te first compartment??

mhh i think you just gave me a little project

No, in my noob ignorance back then, I didn't plan for the filter floss. Realising this, I made a plan by having the filter floss in the same compartment as lift pump, seperated by an UG filter panel cut to size.

I would suggest you draw your design before starting. It's not easy to change once you have 55KG of sand in your DSB...lol.

Big problem with FW DSB's is that you do not have the critters to stir the sand. There is very few invertebra that will do this in fresh water. One potential is the malaysian borrowing snail, but keep a eye on their numbers, they can get out of control. You can also use "spaghetti eels" but they need feeding, so not sure if it is a good place for them.

Yes, that can be a problem. Apparently Hydrogen Sulphide (which is deadly) can form and kill your inhabitants. I never had that problem though. Possible because I vacumed the top of my DSB regularly.

Back
Top Bottom